Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:05 PM   #1

I bought a Transcend SD card, 256 Mb, because the Panasonic SD provided with the camera is only 16 Mb. I used the Panasonic card once and then started using the Transcend only. A couple of days ago I switched the cards and - the Transcend was scratched. I didn't realize this until I switched them back, when I saw the Panasonic card was also scratched.

This is how the Panasonic card looks now:

Attached Images

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:07 PM   #2

I know the Panasonic card didn't scratch the first time I removed it from the camera. Also, the Transcend card didn't scratch the few times I removed it and used it with the card reader. So, why and how did this happen? The camera was turned off (of course). I was indoors, there was no... sand in the room, and the camera hasn't been exposed to it.

As far as I can tell, the card is working normally, and I can transfer the pics directly to my PC with no problem at all. But I am worried and wondering if the Transcend card will have to stay there for the rest of its life. I don't want to scratch it again and again until it is damaged and I can not record more pictures in it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:38 PM   #3

Are you sure that it is your camera? It could be your card reader.
Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:37 PM   #4

Larry Bradford wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure that it is your camera? It could be your card reader.

Nope, the Panasonic card was never in the card reader.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 4:39 AM   #5

José A. wrote:
Quote:
I bought a Transcend SD card, 256 Mb, because the Panasonic SD provided with the camera is only 16 Mb. I used the Panasonic card once and then started using the Transcend only. A couple of days ago I switched the cards and - the Transcend was scratched. I didn't realize this until I switched them back, when I saw the Panasonic card was also scratched.

This is how the Panasonic card looks now:
I would say that this is normal, the contacts in the camera would have to be a fairly tight fit hence they will make small marks on the contacts of the SD card.

I have checked all of my SD cards (Panasonic, Simpletech and Toshiba) and they all display the same markings.

As a further check I also looked at an XD card taken out of an Olympus and this also has marks on it made by the contacts within the camera.

Harryo
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:52 PM   #6

This is normal for all contacts. a tight metal to metal connection must be maintained in electronic devices that plug into eachother.

I worked with electronics for about 20 years. Don't worry, this is perfectly normal.

Here is a picture of my ScanDisk SD Card.
Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote