Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1

Appreciate any comments! Thanks!

All taken with the following settings:

ExposureTime : 1/125Sec
FNumber : F4.6
ExposureProgram : Manual
ISOSpeedRatings : 50
Filter: Nikon 6T

No Flash

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:30 PM   #2

Opps browser suppressed the picture. My problem.
Cut and pasted the link from the source..

How close were you to the flower. Depth of field is a bit small.

bill.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:57 PM   #3

wmussatto wrote:
Quote:
Opps browser suppressed the picture. My problem.
Cut and pasted the link from the source..

How close were you to the flower. Depth of field is a bit small.

bill.
First one about 29cm away. Maybe should have increase the F to F8.

2nd one was futher away. Not sure how far.

Anyway, thanks for commenting and looking!!!!:-)
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I'm still trying to learn and decide between KM F3 and Pan Z20.

bill
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:03 AM   #5

wmussatto wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I'm still trying to learn and decide between KM F3 and Pan Z20.

bill

You mean KM Z3? Well I also looked at the Z3 and the FZ10 and ended up withtge FZ10 even during one of the fairs here, the Z3 was cheaper and had alot of freebies.

Not sure about you, I reearch many sites, and noticed that the pic posts from Z3 users were quite bad! And FZ10 pics appeared better. Also, I think the Z3 camera has some hardware problems.....you can search the posts for them......

Just my 2c
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:56 PM   #6

Finally got a hands on with the FZ3 and FZ20 in local store. To get maximum macro magnification it appears that you need to get very close (wide end of the zoom) with both cameras. The FZ3 appeared to have noticable barrel distortion. FZ20 seemed to have not as much but noticeable. That's why I'm waiting for more reviews. The Minolta Z3 has its maximum macro (normal macro) somewhere in the mid zoom area which should help quite a bit the barrel distortion. That's why I asked for the distance. There may be a way to get good macro in the middle of the zoom on the FZ20, which is why I'm asking. Thanks.

bill
Correction: macro sweet spot is at 3x with FZ20 so you can get a bit away. Eliminates the barrel distortion issue.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:11 AM   #7

wmussatto wrote:
Quote:
Finally got a hands on with the FZ3 and FZ20 in local store. To get maximum macro magnification it appears that you need to get very close (wide end of the zoom) with both cameras. The FZ3 appeared to have noticable barrel distortion. FZ20 seemed to have not as much but noticeable. That's why I'm waiting for more reviews. The Minolta Z3 has its maximum macro (normal macro) somewhere in the mid zoom area which should help quite a bit the barrel distortion. That's why I asked for the distance. There may be a way to get good macro in the middle of the zoom on the FZ20, which is why I'm asking. Thanks.

bill

Er....please note that I am using a close up filter: Nikon 6T. W/o it, the working distance is very close.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:38 PM   #8

I was afraid of that. Thanks.
Well ended up with FZ20 so now I have to start saving for the 4t (I have lens w/ 52mm threads already, but waiting to see if that will give me problems with viginetting before I buy more glass).
:roll:Followup: my old hitachi 0.5 adapter didn't help. Had to zoom so far out that it had a narrower field of view than the FZ20's basic lens.. No problem with the 1.5 adapter, but I'm not sure of the quality of the glass. So far it looks like the 52mm adapter isn't an issue, but lens quality, as always, is. Also found that FZ20 does best with 3x zoom for macro w/o an adapter.
:?: What is the best (i.e., largest imagage) zoom/range for the macro adapter you use?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:34 PM   #9

Yeah, without the macro attachment of either the Nikon 6T or you could use the B+W Macro (which what I am using), you have to be very close to the object.

Adding it, allows you to use up to 2x - 3x zoom and still able to properly focus.

I haven't tried the Nikon 6T so not sure how is that.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:34 PM   #10

smilepak wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, without the macro attachment of either the Nikon 6T or you could use the B+W Macro (which what I am using), you have to be very close to the object.

Adding it, allows you to use up to 2x - 3x zoom and still able to properly focus.

I haven't tried the Nikon 6T so not sure how is that.
Discovered that FZ20's lens has maximum macro magnification at 3x zoom. didn't check the minimum focus distance, but I think its about 12-18". What is the max. size focus distance for the B+W Macro?

Bill