Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:14 PM   #1

Hi!

I'm new here and thought I should introduce myself. I'm Beth and a new owner of an FZ20. I bought a used camera that I picked up from Fred Miranda's Classifieds page. I was looking for a 'walk around' camera that would take some of the weight off my neck that the 1D I usually shoot with saddles me with. I am a bit tired of the 'dust bunnies' that lens changes give me AND I was intrigued with the Leica lens on the Panasonic brand. I have been watching Panasonic since reading about the Leica Digilux 2 and Panasonic's knock-off. (Hope calling it that doesn't insult anyone!)

When I saw the Lumix I was excited by the 12x zoom, the Leica lens and the thought of carrying 1.5 lbs. instead of 3+ around my neck. Heck, I think the 1D with a 100-400 lens must weigh a good 6 lbs.!! Now I'm anxious for it to arrive and run it through some tests comparing it to the 1D for noise. I suppose that's not fair, but I hope to use it for some stock shooting and am hoping it will work out.

I shoot and sell stock of Maine on Acclaim Stock Photography at http://www.acclaimimages.com/cgi-bin...tographer=0027 Most of my subjects are coastal, nautical or Maine-related in some fashion though several of them are also Pittsburgh subjects as I moved from there about a year ago and had taken many shots there before leaving.

I keep my personal stuff over at pbase...you'll find me at http://www.pbase.com/cokids/ I have over 2000 images there.

Any comments on the photos are appreciated and any thoughts on the FZ20 and it's use for subjects such as the ones I've shot in the past are also much appreciated!

Can't wait to have a lighter weight option! It's on a UPS truck somewhere in California as we 'speak!'

Glad to meet ya,

Beth
cokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:52 PM   #2
Fox

I'm new here myself but wanted to say Welcome. I have visited a lot of forums and I don't think you will find a nicer bunch of informed guys and gals than right here.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:15 PM   #3

Thanks Fox,

I have it bookmarked and will return often!

Beth
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:07 PM   #4

Beth

If you want some really good info on the FZ10 and 20, look through the posts from Lin Evans. She is a pro in the business for over 40 years. I found her posts to be very informative, as well as objective.I am sure that you will also.

Larry
Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:30 PM   #5

Nice to have you on the forum. It's kind of interesting to hear someone say that they selected the FZ20 because it was smaller than what they have been using!! I selected the FZ3 becaue it was smaller than the FZ10/20.But different people have different requirements. Reminds me of a favorite saying of my father: "That's why they make both Fords and Chevys!"

Again, welcome aboard.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:47 PM   #6

Thanks Propwash!

Yes, I always carry a camera, but to carry one that weighs more than my purse is becoming onerous!

I will still use the 1D when I really need to capture a moment in a special way, but the FZ20 will be a wonderful Ford (or Chevy) when the "Mercedes" is feeling like a 'monster.'

Beth
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:37 PM   #7

Larry Bradford wrote:
Quote:
Beth

If you want some really good info on the FZ10 and 20, look through the posts from Lin Evans. She is a pro in the business for over 40 years. I found her posts to be very informative, as well as objective.I am sure that you will also.

Larry
I totally agree about Lin Evans' posts, but I think Lin is a he. When I was wavering on the FZ20, Lin's posts comparing the FZ20 to his dslr's were the deciding factor. After 4 days with the FZ20, I could not be happier with the camera. I've been a proponent of Fuji since I've had digitals cameras, but I like the FZ20 the best. It's a very versatile camera.

BTW - do check out Beth's galleries - they are quite spectacular!

Linda
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the kind comments about my galleries! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

How do I look for Lin Evans? Can I just do a search on the name? I'll go try right now.

BEth
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:27 PM   #9
Administrator

cokids wrote:
Quote:
How do I look for Lin Evans? Can I just do a search on the name? I'll go try right now.
Welcome to the forums Beth.

Yes, you can search for a username using the search feature at the top of the page (simply check the search by username box).

Then, click on a user's name to see their profile (which also allows you to view previous posts).

Here is an example of one of Lin's posts on the DMC-FZ20:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:36 PM   #10

cokids wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments about my galleries! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

BEth
Here's a link to a particularly good postfrom OLP. I think the same post might be on other lists.

http://www.onlinephotographers.com/y...threadid=15079

I'm looking forward to seeing your FZ20 photos.
Linda

patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote