Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:15 PM   #1

Hi all.

Nice forum. I was going a bit nuts deciding on a decent/good cam.. I nailed my options to either a Minolta Dimage Z3 and Panasonic FZ20.

I had read some reviews on both. Checked out even Pics of both.. Somehow I found the FZ20 Pics a bit better - dunno if its the extra megapixels.. So i decided to purchase one and went ahead and ordered it.. Will get it Mid-Oct... here in Ontario,Canada.

Was wondering...have I made a good decision or am I gonna regret it ? Cause I may have time to cancel the order and go for the Z3 then.

I know the Z3 was cheaper...but for a little more I figured I get a good Cam in the near same budget .

Oh and my use for the Cam would be for Macro and for tourist pics etc..
Comments are most welcome..

Thks and Brgds..

Fireworkz

fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

I think you made the right decision. This is not based on experience, because I don't have any experience with either of these cameras. I am familiar with Panaasonic, and I am generally pleased with the results I have seen. From reading some Konica/Minolta forums, it seems that the Z3 has quite a few reliability issues that don't seem to be present in Panasonic cameras.

Disclaimer: this is a highly UNscientific opinion based mainly on what I have read in the various forums. I think you'll enjoy your new camera (when it arrives!) more if you don't try to second guess yourself after the purchase. I have Monday morning quarterbacked myself to death on a couple of occasions to the point that I made myself really upset. I finally decided to live with my decision, and never looked back from that point on. Have fun with your new camera and show us some pictures!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:32 PM   #3

I've had my FZ20 for over 2 weeks. I went through 3 other digicams before this. one Sony (w1), and two Canons (S1 IS, A85). I returned 2 of them because of defects, and the A85 seemed very cheaply made, and had 2 bright spots in the bottom of the LCD.

I am very glad of all this, because I would not have wound up with the FZ20. This camera (to me) blows them all away.

I think you made the right choice.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:18 AM   #4

Hi propwash and bobc.

Thanks for the feedback.
Its reassuring to know that its money well spent.
I will not cancel my order for the FZ20 now and shall patiently await the arrival.

Yup Im gonna take lots of pics.. I am DL the manual so I can get a head start on the functions of the cam, like this I will be up and ready in a matter of moments..

Thks and Brgds.

Fireworkz
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:04 AM   #5

The Leica lens is one of the sharpest I've seen on a digital camera and that extra degree of sharpness goes along way in enhancing the quality of the pictures. I've got one on order and like you I did extensive research and concluded the FZ20 is at the head of its class, outdistancing even some cameras with a higher pixel count. I was surprised for example to see so much noise in the 12 mexapixel shots on the Fujipix 7000. And the highly touted Nikon 70D has much more noise in blowups than the FZ20, not to mention tunneling and excessive moire. So, my point is, this cameras can compare favorably with even some of the DSLR's and you should be very happy with it.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6

I'm trying to decide the same thing, the Dimage Z3 versus FZ20.

However, I am reluctant to get the FZ20 because it weighs so much, at 1.14 pounds versus about .75 pounds for Z3.

I was told thatforimage stabilization on the FZ20, you have to go to manual. I had trouble focusing with that. Is the same true on the Dimage Z3?

Still deciding.

Al

allancb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:49 AM   #7

allancb,

If I understand your question about image stabilization on FZ20, you do not have to be in manual mode. There are 3 options for image stabilization; off, full time, and at shutter release. Image stabilization works in all camera modes.

I have an FZ10 and I really like it. Don't worry about the extra weight. It is only a third of a pound.

rookie
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:13 AM   #8

Rookie wrote:
Quote:
Image stabilization works in all camera modes.

Yes even movie mode if you want!
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:06 PM   #9

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

The above link is the DCResource review of the FZ-20. It shows an image comparison between the FZ-20 and the Minolta Z-3. If you're weighting image quality heavily in your decision, go with the FZ-20 and its Like-a-Leica lens. It's a no brainer.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:01 PM   #10

Fireworkz, I think you made a wise choice. From what I have read in the forums and in the review already mentioned about the FZ20, its a great camera ! i was also trying to decide between the Z3 and the FZ20 but have finally decided that the FZ20 is the camera for me!

Where did you order your new FZ20 from? I am also in Ontario and was afraid that I'd have to wait ages for this camera to be available in Canada. I am happy to hear that this is not the case! Would you mind telling me what store you have ordered it from and what the cost was? Thanks!

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote