Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:46 PM   #1

Does the 540EZ work with the FZ20? I read someplace that the FZ20 is sensitive to high voltages from flash or something...

It seems to me that there are no automated flash functions in the camera anyway.

BTW, I love the camera although I also own a Canon DSLR and SLR with a half dozen lenses. The Panny is just so incredibly PORTABLE!

Thanks!

aquapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:34 AM   #2

aquapuss wrote:
Quote:
Does the 540EZ work with the FZ20? I read someplace that the FZ20 is sensitive to high voltages from flash or something...

It seems to me that there are no automated flash functions in the camera anyway.

BTW, I love the camera although I also own a Canon DSLR and SLR with a half dozen lenses. The Panny is just so incredibly PORTABLE!

Thanks!

I was wonderfing the same thing! I too have a Canon SLR and am waiting for a FZ20 to arrive as wespeak. I have the Canon 420 EX (I think) flash and wondered if it would work on the FZ. What a saverTHAT would be! Though i read in reviews that the onboard flash does a nice job as far as it reaches.

cokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:12 PM   #3
NHL

Both flash will fire since it's a standard ISO socket!

The only problem is they will be on full blast. The 540EZ lucky owner can decrease the flash output to match the distance while the 420EX will be 'stuck'ed, and have to play with the aperture value only :sad:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:08 AM   #4

Hi NHL,

I am new to this forum.I just want to know how sure are you that the 540EZ is compatible with the FZ series because as far as I know, that flash can't even be used on canon dslr itself. It just doesn't fire. If it does, then it is good news to me as I am thinking of getting a FZ20 as well...

Thanks in advance

arrsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:26 AM   #5
NHL

arrsoo wrote:
Quote:
I just want to know how sure are you that the 540EZ is compatible with the FZ series because as far as I know, that flash can't even be used on canon dslr itself. It just doesn't fire. If it does, then it is good news to me as I am thinking of getting a FZ20 as well...
You can actually verified this yourself: connect the large middle contact under the hot shoe and the side of the bracket to see if the flash fire... that's how all cameras do it including Canon and Panasonic

The other smaller contacts in the back are not used by anyone else but Canon to set the camera shutter speed or to exchange the aperture information which you don't need in manual.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:25 PM   #6

NHL,

Thanks for the reply:|
arrsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I am new to this forum. I just want to know how sure are you that the 540EZ is compatible with the FZ series because as far as I know, that flash can't even be used on canon dslr itself.
Canon DSLRs cannot use an old school TTL flash like the EZ series, as they depend upon the camera reading light off of the film to tell the flash when to quit. A DSLR doesn't have film, thus this won't work. Newer Canon flashes (EX series) support E-TTL and E-TTL2, which rely upon preflashes and distance readings from the lenses. Since the FZ series cameras just use a 'dumb' hotshoe, any flash will work (You just have to tinker with the manual settings to prevent the powerful flash from overpowering the exposure settings).

Anyone have any other ideas as to which flash would work for both a Canon SLR (film) and a FZ10? I'm in the market.

Shane
mammothboy is offline   Reply With Quote