Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1

I went down to Circuit City yesterday to finally get my hands on the FZ20. It took every fiber of my being to resist buying it on the spot....BEAUTIFUL! I just can't shell out the bucks yet, but soon.

I've also kinda been waiting for an official review, which we now have. I know Steve has it on the docket as well, but dcresource moved it up two weeks. If this camera performs every bit as well as the FZ3 as indicated by dpreview, I'm already sold!
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:41 PM   #2

Where is the review?
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:49 PM   #3

I think he ment here

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 7:43 PM   #4

Thanks...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:51 PM   #5

Thanks for directing us to this new review on the Panasonic FZ20! It sounds like the camera I have been looking for!! A little more than I was hoping to spend but well worth it I think . I am definitely glad to hear that it has AF assist lamp. The size and weight does not bother me because I am not looking for a pocket camera. I really want a more serious camera with which to get some really amazing shots. This definitely sounds like the camera for me and I will be checking out stores to get my hands on it and give it a try. I only hope I can find it fairly easily here in Canada. Anyone know of a good source in Canada for this camera?

snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:10 AM   #6

as i posted in another thread....panasonic needs to do more to make this camera the undisputed leader on its own league:

Quote:
The usual caveats about proprietary batteries apply here. For one, an extra battery will set you back $50. Secondly, if you're ever in a jam, you can't just pop in some alkaline batteries to get you through the day like you could on an AA-based camera.
...would have been very nice if it can accomodate a CR-V3 (or AA NiMH is much even better) size because there are now so many CR-V3 li-ion rechargeables in the market and the capacity goes higher and higher. current CR-V3 li-ion rechargeables have 1400mAh capacity. by end of this year, some battery manufacturers will be producing 2000mAh rechargeable CR-V3's.

Quote:
You'll find a big plastic lens cap in the box with the camera, but sadly, there's no retaining strap. So be careful that you don't drop it off a cliff -- believe me, it can happen!
...this is just a simple thing but has to be addressed because there's always a possibility that someone will get irritated because he lost the cap.

Quote:
Most of the controls are well positioned, though I would've preferred to have the zoom controller a bit closer to the edge of the camera.
...i also prefer to have a zoom control near the edge of the camera.

Quote:
The AF-assist lamp helps the camera focus in low light situations (the FZ10 didn't have one of these) and it has a range of about 1.5 meters.
...would have been nice if the range is 5 meters.

Quote:
On the back of the FZ20 you'll find a larger-than-average 2.0" LCD display. The resolution isn't terribly high, with 130,000 pixels, but images on the screen were plenty sharp. The screen is bright and colorful, and motion is fluid. In low light the LCD doesn't "gain up" automatically like on some other cameras, making it darn near impossible to see your subject. Turning up the LCD brightness doesn't help.
...130K0-pixel 2.0" LCD is nice but everyoneis putting 2.0" LCD with higher resolution. the recently anounced olympus c7000/c70 has 2.0" LCD with 206K pixels. also, LCD gain up isa must.

Quote:
Like all ultra zoom cameras, the FZ20 uses an electronic viewfinder, or EVF. The EVF resolution isn't so hot when compared to some of the latest models out there (with just 114,000 pixels), and you can tell when you use it. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, but I've seen better. As was the case with the LCD, the EVF is basically unusable in low light conditions since it doesn't brighten automatically. ...
...it's a shame for panasonic being a giant electronic gadget manufacturer which can't make a decent EVF.
spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:57 AM   #7

I am glad you mentioned the EVF. I have a FZ10 and have added a Raynox 2020 2.2x pro. for a remarkable 26+x optical zoom hand held. It is a large lens but not heavy and lets in a lot of light. BUT I still have my Canon Pro90IS. This same lens will give a 20x optical on this camera which I think most will agree is not all that bad. The cruncher is that I was able to fit a rubber eye cup onto the Canon and I can see VERY clearly every detail in the EVF. A lot of us use the zoom range of these stabilized cameras for photos of small animal/birds. If you can not find whatever it is in the EVF, all the zoom in the world is worthless.

It is almost like the people that do the designing never use the products? Having a good shade for an EVF isn't even hight tech. I will not buy a FZ20...30, 40...or any other camera unless I can see what it is I need in the EVF.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote