Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:40 PM   #11

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I think the reason it goes dark is because of the settings in manual. If you set them to what they would set them selves to in Program Mode, I think you would see the same result on both displays.

At least thats the way it appears to me. Try it and let me know if my thoughts are correct?
As I write this, I have my Lumix DMC-FZ10 with me. In Program Mode, it sets to f2.8 - 1/4s. When I half-press the shutter, the screen goes dark, presumably to show you what the picture will look like. Otherwise, it's light enough to compose and manually focus, which is... a very good thing when you want to take a picture.

But in Manual mode the screen goes dark all the time. It doesn't matter what the settings are, even at f2.8 - 8s the screen is darker than it is in Program mode. And sometimes what you see in the screen isn't even accurate as to what the picture will look like, I just made the test and the picture turned out clearer.

So... if this is one of the improvements made to the FZ20, it is a good one indeed. I wonder why they didn't announce it. However, I insist, in

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...19&forum_id=23

it is mentioned that when using an external flash the LCD is still dark in Manual mode. Perhaps Panasonic is fixing this problem slowly, step by step.

And bobc, did you try to change your settings in manual to have higher exposition values? Did the LCD appear any brighter?

Thanks (I'm starting to envy your FZ20) :evil:
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:04 PM   #12

It gets brighter the every step from f2.8 to f8.0, but it only gets brighter with the shutter speed up to 1/15. But I can still compose the shot in a room with just a small desk lamp lit, and focusing on the dark side of the room.

It could be brighter, but I can still see enough to get the shot.

When I focus on something in a real dark side of the room, the display in manual is much dimmer than the display in program mode.

So, maybe they did not fix the problem.

I would have to try it with an FZ10 and compare the difference (if any).

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:58 AM   #13

I did notece that if I set ISO to 400 it does not go dim in manual mode. It stays the same as in the other modes. Could someone with an FZ10 try this and let me know?

Thanks in advance...

bobc
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:50 AM   #14

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I did notece that if I set ISO to 400 it does not go dim in manual mode. It stays the same as in the other modes. Could someone with an FZ10 try this and let me know?
If I set the ISO to 400 yes, the LCD goes brighter in Manual mode. But I don't want to use ISO 400 because of the noise.

The point is, it is not necessary to use ISO 400 and get the extra noise, because at ISO 100 or sometimes even 50 you can set the exposure time to get the picture as you would like it. The only problem is -you can't see what you're doing. And I've made the tests, and the LCD is wrong in showing you what the picture will look like: sometimes it is acceptable but the LCD was too dark.

So yes, you can use ISO 400 but you don't need to... unless you want to compose and focus your shot. :sad:
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:57 PM   #15

WOW Bob, thank you for the information, I feel better already about the camera purchase, I have played with it some and I really love it, I'm just really new to anything but point and shoot so trying to learn about the different things I can do with this camera.

Do you know ifthere is a good beginning digital photography book that explains things clearly, the manual is ok but I would like something a bit clearer?

Your MOON shot is fantastic, could you tell me how you did this???? Just beautiful!!!

I am thrilled at all the info that's been posted in response to my inquiry, I do appreciate all the info and friendship!

Thanks again to all of you!

Here's one of my first attempts yesterday...

Linda:|
Attached Images

redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:01 PM   #16

Linda,

Nice one.

You might try Barns & Nobles for a book. They have a great selection of books, although I have yet to look for a book on digital photography. But being a Software Developer, I have bought many books from them. I'm sure they have books on anything.

The moon shot, I just kept playing with the Aperture and Shutter Speed settings.

You must use a fast shutter speed to get the details. If you don't, the moon comes out like a big bright glow.

If you set your Aperture high (8.0) you can use slightly slower shutter speeds, but I'm still trying to figure out how these to settings work together to get the best result.

I am a newbee but still trying to learn.

Thnaks for liking my pic.

bobc
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:52 PM   #17

redparrot53 wrote:
Quote:
I am thrilled at all the info that's been posted in response to my inquiry, I do appreciate all the info and friendship!

Thanks again to all of you!

redparrot53, that's the intention of the forums I think, and I'm glad the info was helpful to you. Did you try your "Christmas tree lights and such" pics already? Did you have any problem?

And I see you finally got an avatar... good!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:33 PM   #18

:?:What about external flash in the 'A' mode?

Bill

Nevermind, use menu to set external flash to manual. A mode to 2.8 and speed locked at 1/60. Fine for my needs. Found answer on another post. :|
neutral
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:27 PM   #19

No, I have tried a couple night shots but no luck with anything great looking yet...is there a trick to this?

I would really love to do those moon shots!

Thanks for your reply...

Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:13 PM   #20

Go here...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze81jmt/id4.html

Theres a few night shots...

I'm not that good but...

bobc