Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:02 PM   #11

Nice pic and very cute dog!

Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:58 PM   #12

Are you using the AF assist? The picture of my husband'scute, but amazingly dumb, dog was taken in lighting conditions where I could barely see him. I just centered the red assist light on him and shot. My cat's pictures were not quite as clear, but still not bad for snapshots. I think the short haired black and tan is areasonably easy target to focus on. My sheep are a harder target, but the tests I've done with the FZ20 are quite acceptable. Have to admit that I hardly take indoor night shots of my sheep.

Linda
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:58 PM   #13

Are you using the AF assist? The picture of my husband'scute, but amazingly dumb, dog was taken in lighting conditions where I could barely see him. I just centered the red assist light on him and shot. My cat's pictures were not quite as clear, but still not bad for snapshots. I think the short haired black and tan is areasonably easy target to focus on. My sheep are a harder target, but the tests I've done with the FZ20 are quite acceptable. Have to admit that I hardly take indoor night shots of my sheep.

Linda
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:13 PM   #14

Hi Linda,

Interpolation is the enlarging of an image to another size and/or resolution by adding pixels or dots. This is done by adding pixels that are matched for color to their nearest neighbors. Two programs used to interpolate are Genuine Fractals and PhotoShop. Both do a very good job!

I don't have any poor, low light shots to share. I haven't processed any of them, but DID get out today to shoot in wonderful sunlight. I will post a two or three of those....one here and then in successive posts. Don't want to bore anyone, but will add impressions about the camera as I add them.

This first one was taken in a very small village called Round Pond, Maine. The leaves are beginning to change here and there were some very nice colors and textures here. I like how easy it is to get really deep DOF with this camera. I am thinking that I may take it along just for this purpose. I think this shot is a good example of that!

Attached Images

cokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:18 PM   #15

Okay, here's another one. Did I say I was out trying to capture changing leaves? Well, I WAS! This tree (a very large maple)was on the main street of Damariscotta, Maine. I loved the colors against the blue sky! I am finding the auto white balance on this camera to be very accurate. I have really given it some 'exercise' in different lighting conditions and it always seems to come out 'spot on!'
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:22 PM   #16

Don't want to bore you all, but here's the third of four. Is there a way to add more than one photo to a message?

This one is of a hood ornament on an old 1934 Ford that I found parked near that gorgeous tree! This car was full of chrome and the sun was such that there was lots of glare. I don't have a polarizing filter yet for the camera, so there is some glare, but I like it anyway. I love old cars and this ornament was unique. (I like dogs too, so it was a real winner!)

Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:30 PM   #17

Did I say that I love dogs? Well here's one for you. This little guy was playing with his ball (actually she's a girl) on Pemaquid Beach. It was just gorgeous there today...clear and cool and almost deserted...only one other family was there today. THEY had the dogs!

While I'm at it, let me tell you about my experience with interpolations with FZ files. They work just fine. I convert to tiff, process (levels, curves, saturation), then interpolate to 300 dpi and 11x17".....yes THAT big! I'm thrilled! They are a bit noisier than my Canon files, but I can't complain. When a photo is taken in good light and well exposed, noise isn't bad at 80 and 100 ISO. I shot some this AM at 200 ISO and saw more visible noise than I like, but they were usable....probably would be better had I put them through noise reduction processes. Haven't yet tried in-camera noise reduction.....maybe tomorrow.

Ok, here's the dog....
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:17 PM   #18

cokids wrote:
Quote:
While I'm at it, let me tell you about my experience with interpolations with FZ files. They work just fine. I convert to tiff, process (levels, curves, saturation), then interpolate to 300 dpi and 11x17".....yes THAT big! I'm thrilled! They are a bit noisier than my Canon files, but I can't complain. When a photo is taken in good light and well exposed, noise isn't bad at 80 and 100 ISO. I shot some this AM at 200 ISO and saw more visible noise than I like, but they were usable....probably would be better had I put them through noise reduction processes. Haven't yet tried in-camera noise reduction.....maybe tomorrow.
cokids,

I liked very much your pics, congratulations. I have also some questions:

Did you print your 300 dpi - 11x17 interpolated pictures? How did they come out? Specially the noise, since you mention it. Is it very noticeable? And can you see in the printed picture it was interpolated?

Also, when you mention "noise reduction processes" you refer to the ones found in image-editing software, right? What are the in-camera noise reduction in your... FZ20, right?

Thanks!

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:41 PM   #19

Hi Jose,

No, I haven't printed any images yet. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.

Yes, I was talking about noise reduction software. I use Neat Image though there are others. The camera can be set to 'low, standard, & high' noise reduction so that the camera reduces some of the noise when you take the photo. I have read that you lose some detail when you use high in-camera noise reduction, so I probably will opt for noise reduction software instead. I will more likely just shoot at ISO 80 or 100 most of the time. Noise reduction just takes too long for my purposes. Can't be bothered with it.

I have also read that the noise you can see on the computer screen isn't visible in print. Can't vouch for that, but will check it out one of these days.

The shot where noise was most visible was a 200 ISO shot taken indoors in lower light of my computer keyboard. When interpolated, the noise was VERY noticeable! I expect that noise reduction software would take care of it and this is the shot that I will test print when I fire up my printer. Stay tuned....will let you know.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:10 PM   #20

cokids,

These are all great shots. I am just a beginner, but some day hope to be knowledgable enough to get pics like these.

Thanks for sharing.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote