Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:10 PM   #1

Well, I've only had it for a few hours and it got dark here in Maine about 2 hours after it arrived, so I've played mostly inside in very low light. I am finding that I cannot focus it well at all in a dimly lit room....auto or manual. I'm thinking that with practice, I might get better at is using the lcd screen as a viewer instead of the evf. Anyone else had luck with this.

Tried to shoot the cat in low light. She is a light colored animal and even with the assist light on, it was a 'no go!' Perhaps a high contrast subject would work better? Any tips for low light focusing would be MUCH appreciated!

Can't wait for tomorrow to get outside with this little gem. I am anxious to try it on birds. If it can handle THAT, it can probably handle just about anything I'll throw it's way ....in daylight.

I am anxious to see how well-exposed shots interpolate up to about 11x17. We'll see. Will give that a try tomorrow.

After hefting a 1D around for a year and a half, I am looking forward to going on some outtings with this little baby! It's a nice size...not too small; certainly not too large!

Oh, I was excited by the battery charger too. It has a very small form-factor without cord...plugs directly into outlet with collapsable prongs on the plug. I could see it being a good traveller! This kit would take up very little space on a trip!

Well, I'm off to bed anxious to get up early and put this baby through it's paces!

Beth
cokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2

How dim was the light?

After reading your post I went into a room with the light out, and the only light was light comming in from the hallway light.

I was able to focus about 50% of the time.

Are you sure your not putting your hand inthe way of the AF assist?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:55 AM   #3

I took these night before last - just one 60 watt lamp on in the house. It was dark enough that it was hard for me to see the dog clearly. I think this photo came out fairly well for the conditions. You can see the letters on his tag and even the rash on his nose.

Linda

patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the thought Bob! I thought of that and was careful not to interfere with the assist. In fact, I could see the red light reflecting from the cat. Perhaps I was too close to the cat. That COULD be. I read that when using the zoom, at a certain mm you must be 6.something feet from your subject for it to focus. Perhaps I was closer than 6 feet.

Will try again tonight. It was dark outside and I had small table lamps running, so it was fairly dimly lit.

Thanks,

Beth
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:35 AM   #5

Did the camera "say" it was focused? If you have the beeps on, two beeps is focused and four beeps is the camera saying it is not focused. If you are using the LCD the focus frame goes green when it's focused. I'm sure you already know that - just a thought.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Linda
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:19 PM   #6

Nope, no beep. I have the camera set to 'quiet.' The little green light in the viewfinder lighted though, I believe....but maybe not. I might have been standing too close. I'll try again tonight.

I used the camera outside today in overcast conditions. I wanted to photograph moving subjects and shoot from S mode. I couldn't get it above 1/200 second without forcing the f-stop down to 2.8. At one point, I decided to shoot with under-exposed images because i had pushed the camera beyond it's limits. I'm finding low light VERY challenging! I'm sure it is a joy in sunlight....just haven't had any yet.

More after I've had more time and different conditions to play in.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:06 PM   #7

Something I forgot....I took a well-exposed shot from the FZ20 today and processed it in PhotoShop, interpolating it up to 11x17" with no CA. I was very happy with what these images can do when taken under optimum conditions! Yipee!

Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:00 PM   #8

cokids wrote:
Quote:
Nope, no beep. I have the camera set to 'quiet.' The little green light in the viewfinder lighted though, I believe....but maybe not. I might have been standing too close. I'll try again tonight.

I used the camera outside today in overcast conditions. I wanted to photograph moving subjects and shoot from S mode. I couldn't get it above 1/200 second without forcing the f-stop down to 2.8. At one point, I decided to shoot with under-exposed images because i had pushed the camera beyond it's limits. I'm finding low light VERY challenging! I'm sure it is a joy in sunlight....just haven't had any yet.

More after I've had more time and different conditions to play in.
I know the beeps are irritating, but I have found them helpful to me while I'm learning the FZ20. I really don't do much indoor photography at all, but I've been enjoying seeing just how far I can push the FZ20, so have been playing around with the camera indoors at night. If I hear the two beeps, the camera is telling me that my subject is in focus - and, by darn, it's pretty much always right. I was just wondering if the camera "thought" the focus was correct when you got out of focus shots? When I try to shoot at too close a range for the zoom, the camera tells me. So then I know it's me - not the camera.

I went to to a horse show today to play with the camera. I had the same problem with getting a fast shutter speed. I could get to 1/1000 in P, but couldn't get to 1/1000 in S or A, even with the ISO set to 400. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong - I'm still in the learning process. I ended much better with the camera than I started and did get some good shots. Interesting sidebar - I'm used to my Fuji S602Z and its shutter lag time. The FZ20 is quite abit faster and I started out getting pictures of just the first half of the horse as I was anticipating abit more lag. The burst mode, with a high speed card, is pretty amazing (to me anyway). It's pretty much shoot in burst and very quickly shoot again.

Linda

Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:01 PM   #9

Actually, I didn't know this, thank you all for the tips!

I tried taking some pics in my dimly lit bedroom last night with just the

TV on and I couldn't see a thing, I must be doing something wrong...is this correct?

HELP, I would love to know more about how to SEE in low light..

Thanks for all your help!

Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:02 PM   #10

Could I be very inexperienced here and ask what interpolate means and how you do it?

Can we see your pic?

Thanks

Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote