Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1
Fox

If I understand digital zooms right, Once you hit the digital zoom it crops the picture as you zoom in. If this is the case, would a camera like the FZ20 have a better image when using the digital zoom (to a point) due to higher mega pixels than say the FZ3? Or do I have this whole thing wrong?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:47 PM   #2

Fox wrote:
Quote:
If I understand digital zooms right, Once you hit the digital zoom it crops the picture as you zoom in. If this is the case, would a camera like the FZ20 have a better image when using the digital zoom (to a point) due to higher mega pixels than say the FZ3? Or do I have this whole thing wrong?

Digital zoom is NOT cropping. The image is electronically interpolated to give you a higher magnification....so the image quality is not as good as optical zoom.

However, comparing 5MP vs 3MP in general, the 5MP gives you MORE info per inch and this allows you to crop more without losing detail.

Just a simple illustration......for a 2MP camera, it is just nice say for a 4R picture. Any cropping of this 2MP pic while printing at 4R size will degrade the quality of the pic. For a 5 MP camera, you can print a 8R quality pic.....you can crop a smaller area within the 5MP picture, and it can still give you good quality prints at 4R.

Hope I did not confuse you.....
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:35 AM   #3
Fox

Thanks for setting me straight on this.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:30 PM   #4

Digital zoom should be no different than if you were to use optical zoom, take the picture to photoshop, and zoom in the picture and smooth out the picture a bit.

Basically same concept. It digitally magnify the picture.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote