Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:40 AM   #11

That's a very cute frame! It works wonderfully with the picture and is super Christmas card material. -thankyou! What program did you use to do that?
alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 4:14 PM   #12

alethea wrote:
Quote:
That's a very cute frame! It works wonderfully with the picture and is super Christmas card material. -thankyou! What program did you use to do that?
Thanks .. I used Ulead PhotoImpact.. very easy to use and also very powerful.. http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm ..
Brgds.. Fireworkz
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:08 AM   #13

sorry to say this, but this child's face is out of focus, look in the background, that seems to be what the camera is focusing on. I have the same problem with this camera, it happens all too often!
Billy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:11 AM   #14

Sorry, I was referring to the picture way above by hbillsmithof the child in the stream, not the cute headshot right above of the baby.
Billy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:25 AM   #15

Billy E. wrote:
Quote:
sorry to say this, but this child's face is out of focus, look in the background, that seems to be what the camera is focusing on. I have the same problem with this camera, it happens all too often!
I would say that the child moved his head and hands while the shot was being taken. The rest of the child is sharp as a tack, and the background is not sharp.

If this was a hand held shot (which I am guessing it is), it's a good one. The head and hands are sharp enough for a kid who is trying to maintain his balance in moving water, and the photographer taking a hand held shot presumably with some zoom.

A picture not only says a thousand words, but also tells a lot about the situation of the composition. Please consider that before making hasty judgments.

Good shot hbillsmith.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:33 PM   #16

Great shot, Alethea. :-)

Billy E/shakeyhands you are full of it. Get a grip on reality. Kids and animals move! They aren't little statues!

And obviously you have never used a*truly* bad-focusingIS camera. I have.

The Canon IS S1 was my first Canon digital camera purchase. I purchased this camera for the 10X zoom and IS and to use to take photos at Sci Fi cons and zoo trips with my kids. But to be blunt, this camera has the worst/bumbling/most annoying autofoucus problems of any digital camera that I have ever owned. I have three different Olympus ultra zooms that have never had any problems focusing, yet this Canon camera hunts and pecks and sometimes refuses to focus - partcularly in low light. (Canon has no focus assist for low light which is an really dumb omission.) The focus gets totally lost after a fast zoom too.. another problem I never had with any Olympus Ultra zoom. Plus side by side..the Olympus ultrazoom pics are better exposed and have better color and contrast. The *only* advantage this camera has is the IS and it uses AAs instead of a proprietary battery.

Solast weekI bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and this camera simply blows the Canon S1 IS out of the water. The colors are better. The focus is lightening fast even in low light and after any speed zoom. The optical zoom is 12X. If you really want an ultra zoom camera with IS, I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. I have both the Pana and the Canon, and the Canon is going on ebay soon. Honestly it's most the annoying digital camera that I have ever owned with having to constantly nurse what *really is* a woefully inadequate autofocus system along.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:26 PM   #17

My wife took that photo of our grandson standing in the stream. He really wasn't moving all that much but on that particularouting the Auto Focus AF was set to 12-point full screen and as you can see the focus hit on the easiest to focus that being the letters on his shirt. She was standing far away and using a long telephoto setting because she is purposely trying to learn how to use the FZ to blurr the background based on tips given in this forum. (I think she got that part right).

I did indeed notice thatthe childs face wasn't as sharp and have since showed her how tochange AF to usespot metering and then freeze AF on the face before droping the lensa little to move the head up the frame.

I still thought it was a nice picture, heck half the time I end up applying a gausian blur on the faces of us old folks to hide wrinkles so a soft focus face didn't seem all that bad to me.

Anyway critiques appreciated, thanks for taking the time.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:25 PM   #18

Nice Pic/cute kid anyways.. good to hear from the author of the pic.
Guess his reply will end the bashing going on .. Of course everyone are free of their opinions..

:|
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:12 AM   #19

Heyy!!!Billy /Shakey gotcha !!!
Attached Images

Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:38 AM   #20

I love Photo Impace or PI as we call it...lol, I also love the framing in Paint Shop Pro, hundreds of free frames to snag on the net...

Great job on the baby pic and the framing too...

Beautiful child!

Linda:|
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote