Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:20 PM   #1

Didn't find a topic which address this.

I was wondering if anyone has used a slave flash with the FZ15. If yes, how well does it work. I'm particularly interested in using it to bounce and reduce red eye. (BTW: how bad is redeye with the built in unit?)

The flash I have can fire at a fixed apature so its ok.

Thanks.

Bill Mussatto
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:46 PM   #2

Although I have an FZ-1, it is the same issue with all non-hotshoe Lumixes, and many other digital cameras. I have tried several units I purchased at a local Ritz Camera and they DO NOT WORK. The reason is that the Lumix line uses a preflash to set white balance 200 milliseconds before the main flash fires, which causes the slave to trigger prematurely. Many other newer digitals have the same problem working with slaves.

There are flashes that compensate for this, however, and work well from what I have read. One is the Vivitar DF 200. This flash is designed to "learn" the preflash patterns of your camera, and fire on the "proper" one. The same identical flash also goes by the name/manufacturer Phoenix D91. There are others that work but I can't recall the make/model.

I ordered the Vivitar coincidentally for $50 (plus $10 S&H) for $60 off eBay, and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. Should arrive in the next couple days, I'll repost and let you know how it works.

Nick T
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:31 PM   #3

Thanks. Need manual focus so I'm looking at FZ15 vs FZ20.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:00 PM   #4

Not on the FZ15, but I've used on the FZ10 with the Nikon SU-4 slave controller for the Nikon SB28-DX, work fairly nicely.

I put two Nikon SB-28DX on their individual tripod. Place one on the left and one on the right of the object I want to take, use the internal flash with a reflector attachment, picture came out nice.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:27 PM   #5

Thanks. I gather since you referred to a reflector that the slaves were unable to trigger off the flash from the subject.

Bill
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:20 PM   #6

The built in internal flash was able to trigger the slave controller fine. The reflect i was using was to soften the flash so my two slave flashes will be the main light and my front flash is not too direct.

That piece is not require for the slahve to work.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:38 PM   #7

Thanks. Someone else suggested turning down the flash intensity as well.