Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:37 PM   #1

Hi all, I've just got a FZ20 and it is my first digital camera. I tried to emulate the beautiful moon shots I've seen here, but ended up with a red edge on the sunlit side of the moon. Can anyone tell me what causes it, and how to prevent it?

Settings were:

Program mode, 12X zoom, f3.3 at 1/125, ISO 80, OIS Mode 2, spot meter and spot focus.
Attached Images

Jerryinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:47 AM   #2

This one was taken at f8.0, 1/50 sec, zoom 12x.

Image was cropped with no enhancement editing.

You just have to tweek the settings a little until you get the right results. You can zoom in while viewing the image on the camera (to see if the red is there) between shots.

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:52 AM   #3

While experimenting with other settings, as bobc has suggested, also try some moon shoots in black and white (essentially moonlacks color). :|
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 9:23 AM   #4

Thanks to bobc and m.achure for the response. I'll try both suggestions, but now I have to wait a few weeks because the moon isn't up until past my bedtime.

I'm still curious about the cause of this effect, if anyone has any ideas.

Meanwhile, I am getting to know the FZ20 and getting some great macro shots in the backyard and anxious to get out somewhere to try the birds and scenic shots. A trip to NYC next week should provide some opportunities.

Jerry
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:08 AM   #5

It could be CA (chromatic aberation), often caused by the use of teleconverters.:?

I have gotten it often with my moon shoots when using a TC. However, you were not using a TC and I don't remember seeing it on any 12x fotos of mine. That doesn't mean it can't occure at 12x.

Wait for a possible response from a more knowledgable individual before reading any validity from my thoughts:|.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:12 AM   #6

Jerryinsocal wrote:
Quote:
[...] but ended up with a red edge on the sunlit side of the moon. Can anyone tell me what causes it, and how to prevent it?
A question also... is that red edge an example of color aberration? And what can be done about it?
Attached Images

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:55 PM   #7

It is certainly chromatic aberration according to what I have found to read about it on this site. As soon as I can get another chance to shoot the moon, I will try it with a manual (smaller) aperture and see if I can avoid it. I tried some shots with strong contrasttoday in full sun, and found very little, if any CA. Only slightly noticable at 16x in the LCD.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have learned so much in a very short time by reading all the posts on this site, and want to thank all the knowledgeable contributors for taking the time to help out all us newbies. And thanks to Steve for making it all possible.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jerry