Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:57 PM   #11

Man... I need to get me one of those Hoya infrared filters. Great shots. Well, Fred, my fellow Philadelphian, for what it's worth, you're not the only twomegapixelphile around. Count me in.

The FZ-1v2 is a much more balanced camera, it seems to me. I consider it a true "classic" digicam. I seriously wouldn't trade it straight-up for any of the others. The only thing I miss from my SLR is a hotshoe but I just got a Vivitar DF 200 and it works great. I haven't taken it out into the real world yet but the test shots using this flash look fantastic. I was going to do another "Like-a-Leica"-like rant here about why the FZ-1v2 is still the best of the Lumix lot but haven't had the time or motivation. Bottomline if I never get around to this rant is:

1) Photo-quality resolution is photo-quality resolution
regardless of the number of megapixels on your camera.
2) How often do you print prints larger than 8X10?
3) You're paying twice the price for a noisier image
4) The outstanding Like-a-Leica Zoom is basically the same, the IS works (why do you need two IS systems anyway? Couldn't Pana make up their minds?) and the Venus engine I is still a great processor, in the same league as the II.
5) Do you really need a big-ole 14 meg tiff file wasting space on your SD card? Convert to tiff in your photoeditor.
6) As your point out, FZ-1 is the only game in town for infra-red.
7) Its size is "perfect". You lost that wonderful compactness in the other cameras, and the FZ-3 is too small.
8) It cost around $250 bottom line with shipping. That's "sensible money" to spend on a camera. $400 to $600? Sorry, I enjoy photography as much as the next guy, but I would rather see that in my kid's college tuition fund.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:10 PM   #12

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Man... I need to get me one of those Hoya infrared filters.
Hey Nick. Nice to meet another 2megaphilliac from Philly. I'm in Holmesburg near Pennypack Creek. Infrared with the hoya r72 and the fz1v2 will nock your socks off. Some examples including Pennypack Park at http://www.ishots.net/infrared The best price I've found for the 55mm r72 is $35 at http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=&pid=4320 It's a ton of fun with the fz1.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:33 PM   #13

Yo Fred : ) I know exactly where you are. I lived in the NE for a few years about 12 years ago. (Lived in S. Philly most of my life, went to Temple, etc...) Used to go the the Gold's at Grant(CRASH!!!) and da Blvd. Now I'm in the burbs, Havertown to be precise. Get up there once and a while for a Chickie-n-Pete's fix. Thanks for the tips on the filters!

I'm thinking my next addition will be a wide-angle lens. Great pics on your site. Thanks! I read somewhere about a wide-angle Olympus that works with the FZ-1 but I lost the link. Any idears? Not sure it buys all that much though. 35mm is decent, but there are times ya just wish you had one (those 20 person group shots..) Ya know?

Thanks!

Nick T
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:17 PM   #14

Nick - See my reply to the fz3 wide angle thread. To get the best results with a wa lens you want it to be as close as possible to the camera lens. I dont know of a 55mm wa lens. The 2-3mm thickness of the step ring results in some softness at the corners.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:26 AM   #15

FZ3- I wouldn't get the FZ3 simply because of the price... you can get a fz10 at the moment for around the same thing...

fz10 and fz15... both similar, main difference to me is the FZ10 has a hotshoe and the fz15 has an af assist lamp...

As for the fz1, it's a great camera too... but even if you upgrade to version 2 it still won't have all the manual controls of the fz10 like manual focus... Another big difference (i think) is that movies are shot at 10fps with the fz1, while the fz10 has them at 30fps.

The fz1 would be a great buy if your budget is limited.

To Nicktrop:

I personnaly don't mind spending the extra $$$ on the fz10/15/20, and spending only $250 would not be sensible to me because photography is a hobby... (i definitely spent more than that on accessories alone). ALL Lumix cameras are great but each targets a different market group... so if the fz1 works for you that's great, but it won't for me and probably other people too... So be a bit more carefull and don't generalise too much the next time you write something. By the way, Leica has a factory in Portugal since the 70's, so is that also a Like-a-Leica???
roge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:12 AM   #16

FZnovice wrote:
Quote:
I don't have any shots with clear blue sky, but I can post a few... My wife keeps changing the camera to 1600x1200, so some might not be at full resolution...
Thanks, but I'm afraidI can't see those pictures on yourhard drive!

Right click your picture, choose Properties, andyou will see...

Maybe try the attachment browse button at the bottom of the window when you are composing your post?
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:32 AM   #17

roge wrote:
Quote:
So be a bit more carefull and don't generalise too much the next time you write something.
To Roge:

Would it have mattered if I said "in my opinion" it's sensible money...? The "in my opinion" part is implicit, infered, one can deduce etc., since it's MY POST. So I reject your advice to me "to be a bit more careful and not to generalize", rather I would advise you not to be so sensitive reading opinions about cameras on forums, and to keep in mind that these are the opinions of the author - always, for you to agree with, or not. In fact, your "advice" is so silly that I have no choice but to invoke the power vested in me by the city of Philadelphia:

...by the power vested in me by the City of Philidelphia, I declare Roge's previous post and "advice" to be devoid of meaning and value - and to any and all to be considered insipid in its entirety.