Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:56 AM   #1

I've been looking for an ultra-zoom digital camera forquite a while and have narrowed my choices down to these 3. As for right now, my fav is FZ15 since it has AF assist lamp that FZ10 is lack of and more megapixels than FZ3.

However, I'm still not sure considering the price and picture quality if FZ15 would be the best camera to get. I haven't yet read a lot of reviews on this model.

I also wonder since FZ15 is supposed to be similar to FZ20 if FZ15 will have noise problem as well.

(I'm not interested in FZ20 since it is beyond my price range)

Is important to get the 3 types of filters?

Thank you very much if anyone can help me.
kanni_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:19 AM   #2

I have the FZ20. I think it's a great camera. It has more features & improovmentsthan any of the other FZ cameras. It's a little more but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

As far as the Noise problem. It was stated in the review that it is a little noisy which is not really a problem.

And...

That it is one of, If not the best digital zoom camera on the market.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

All digicams have noise to a certain extent.

I have some sample pics as well.

I'm not a pro, and these where all just point and shoot exept for the night shots.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze81jmt/index.html

Hop this helps.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:42 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for your help,bobc.

but as I stated, FZ20 is over my price range so I'd be more interested to hear opinion on FZ3, FZ10 and Fz 15
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:19 AM   #4

I ask myself almost the same question. Though I have no problems affording the fz20 I don`t really see the point in spending more money for a bigger cam with more pixels which I may not need.

I guess I would carry it with me less frequently than a smaller fz3. Then the review by steve was very good. Only it seems the fz3 is not talked about much on this (great) forum. Why is that?

I see the fz20 offers certain features I may need sometimes, but wouldn`t use most of the time (though I am impressed by pictures linked on this forum with external flash - but I am not gonna use it).

I would like to no how the fz3 "feels" - the plastic/metal difference annoys me a little. However I can`t get a hand on it in my place (Tyrol, Austria) since no no shop sells it.

I would be glad to get some informations about this!

Regards - Klemens
kaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:00 PM   #5

I haven't seen anyone mention that they have the FZ15 yet in this forum, so I may be the first.... :-) I just got it earlier this week, and have only now had time to play. I am thrilled with it, and hope to learn more about this camera. This site is great!

I can only compare this to my old 2.1mp olympus (battery abuser!), so if anyone has specific things that you want tested, let me know and I'll try it out... I'm just playing right now, trying to figure out how to do what I want.

Like most newbies, I don't really have any limits on what I'd LIKE to do, and have severe limits on what I CAN do, so please feel free to treat me like the local idiot.

Later,
FZnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 4:31 AM   #6

FZnovice wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone mention that they have the FZ15 yet in this forum, so I may be the first.... :-) I just got it earlier this week, and have only now had time to play. I am thrilled with it, and hope to learn more about this camera. This site is great!

I can only compare this to my old 2.1mp olympus (battery abuser!), so if anyone has specific things that you want tested, let me know and I'll try it out... I'm just playing right now, trying to figure out how to do what I want.

Like most newbies, I don't really have any limits on what I'd LIKE to do, and have severe limits on what I CAN do, so please feel free to treat me like the local idiot.

Later,

Since FZ15 doesn't have a hot shoe, do you think it would be a problem? I'm just so indecisive right now.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:54 PM   #7

FZnovice wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure a lot of us would like to know how the noise levels compare with the FZ20. I notice on Steve's sample picture of the restaurant that the sky was very noisy and pixellated when compared with those taken with someother cameras. I find this disturbing, since I not only print 4 x 6 prints, but view my photos on screen at full resolution. The FZ3 also looks noisy, but itdoes usea smaller sensor. I believe that Canon gets their sensors from Sony. Perhaps Panasonic makes their own?

What are the average image sizes? I was wondering if Panasonic eased-up a little on the overly compressed images of the FZ10, or if it is necessary to use the TIFF mode to avoid the jpeg artifacts. Maybe you could post a sample pic or two, somewhere?
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:04 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of us would like to know how the noise levels compare with the FZ20. I notice on Steve's sample picture of the restaurant that the sky was very noisy and pixellated when compared with those taken with some other cameras. I find this disturbing, since I not only print 4 x 6 prints, but view my photos on screen at full resolution.

I don't have any shots with clear blue sky, but I can post a few... My wife keeps changing the camera to 1600x1200, so some might not be at full resolution...[img]file:///D:/Pictures/Fun%20w%20new%20camera/Fun%20028.jpg[/img]
FZnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:24 AM   #9

I know I sound like a broken record but the FZ-1 with the firmware hack to an FZ-2 is worth considering. If you mainly do 6X4's you won't be disappointed. You don't need more than 2 megapixels for true photoquality 6X4's. I also like its size. The 3 looks too small to me, the others too big. You get the same lens, IS system, and Venus (I) engine. People aren't joking when they say it prints great 8X10's. These cams are truly a steal right now. I've seen them as low as $230, and they're $250 on Amazon. At least to me, much more than that is simply too much to spend on a camera.

Check out this link if you haven already. This is the article that sold me: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/030807.htm

An excerpt:

"It was Bruce Dale, the legendary ex-National Geographic shooter, who first raved about the camera. Months ago, he touted it to a luncheon group of photographers to which I belong and said flatly that the Panasonic FZ-1 had the best optics of any digital point and shoot he ever had seen...But at this particular luncheon, Bruce couldn't stop raving about the feature-laden FZ-1."

"But I keep coming back to Bruce Dale's spectacular 8x10 images, as well to what other of my friends and colleagues, far better versed in digital than I, have been telling me: Size (in this case the number of megapixels captured by a camera) has turned into a kind of meaningless arms race."

"Bruce brought in a number of 8x10 and other prints he had made to show off to his colleagues. They were spectacular...I assumed he had made the shots on assignment, with a big gun 35mm camera and an equally big gun lens. Nope, Bruce said, it was during a family outing at the zoo and he had made the pix on his widdle FZ-1."

Here you have a group of top-flight pro-photogs salivating over pics taken with the little FZ-1. In terms of image quality, how much larger of an endorsemet can you get? And judging from the images, how much more will that extra $300 for the 20 getchya, really?

By the way, Van Riper didn't like the FZ-10 so much:
"...But, as it happens, I chose not to write a check, even though the FZ-10, by almost every measure, is a hell of a camera. For me, this was a classic case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/040311.htm

From my perspective, what Van Riper says about the FZ-10 holds true for the rest of the line.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:21 AM   #10

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
the FZ-1 with the firmware hack to an FZ-2 is worth considering. If you mainly do 6X4's you won't be disappointed. You don't need more than 2 megapixels for true photoquality 6X4's. I also like its size. The 3 looks too small to me, the others too big. You get the same lens, IS system, and Venus (I) engine. People aren't joking when they say it prints great 8X10's. These cams are truly a steal right now. I've seen them as low as $230
I concur with Nick. The fz1v2 is one fantastic camera at half the price and for infrared photography the only show in town re the fz series. See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10646820

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote