Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1

Confusion all around me

I have read quite a few threads on here to make sure that the FZ20 is for me....

I'm now quite sure, but I'm confused about a few things...

1. I definately want to protect the lens with something I can generally leave on the camera.

2. I'd like a fairly sturdy case to protect the camera as much as possible.

3. I may or may not want an additional telephoto lens to attach.

OK, I've read al the posts..... and here comes the confusion.....

It is not clear what thread size of the supplied adapter is, so I can pre-order a filter ( Which type of filter ? ) see Q1.

Is it better to use the Panasonic lenses over the other ( Tcon, raynox etc ) lenses.... I can't find any sample photos comparing the 'official' lenses with the 'other' lenses ( maybe I'm not very good at searching )

Can anyone suggest a good case which will offer the best protection.

I'd like to order all this stuff before I get the camera.

Thanks in advance
dontmailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

I went to ritz camera and got a Quantaray UV Haze filter for $24.99. The size that will fit the adapter that comes with the FZ20 is 72mm. It will protect the lens from damage, dust, and scratching. I keep it on all the time. It will not affect the pictures, and may even improove them in bright sunlight (being a UV filter).

For $3.99, you can get a lens cover for the filter to protect it from scratches.

In addidtion you can get a leash for the filter cover for $1.99, but I prefer to just put it in my pocket as I don't like things dangeling from my camera while trying to maneuver it for shots.

Hope this helps.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:01 PM   #3

hiya :-)

you will need a UV filter, size depends on whether you get a 62mm adaptor for using with extra lens or stay with the 72mm pana adaptor supplied..

but see my post below

Purchased a FZ10/20? Adaptor / lens info..here

this covers info/links for adaptors / filters and extra lens for FZ10- 20

this the FZ10 FAQ covers the FZ20 also ... (batterys the same)

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/...0/DMCFZ10.html

you may want an eyecup see posts here too..

================================================== ==

These tamrac velocity series look good, they slide from your back to front.. handy for bikng / hiking

or

OP TECH D-SLR (wet suit style pouch)OPTECH have new longer pouches but these are more of a tight cover with press studs than a case.. this fits my FZ10 + TL55 lens

linkshere

http://www.optechusa.com/digital.htm#dseries

D-SLR pouchis the top pic..

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

many more comments

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

hope that helps :-)

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 2:03 PM   #4

New to digicams, bought my first last week, a FZ20. Enjoying the forum, trying to learn. Do I need a filter:why, do you use it for all types of shots, until I learn more about taking pictures can I use in auto mode, are there different types, and what do you suggest? Thanks for the help.
eureka07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 2:33 PM   #5

Another question, since the filter is added to the end of the lense, and is a uv filter, will this make the evf sharper?:|
eureka07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 2:48 PM   #6

Basic UV filter is used a a cheap way to protect the lens. Ideally it should be on the end of the lens but can't do that here.

Option 1: put it on the end of the Panasonic Adapter, but I think that's still a bit away from the end of th lens when extended. Problem is the camera may try to focus on a scratch on the filter (but they cheap that's why you use them to protect the most expensive lenses.

Option 2: get a third party adapter and put it on that. These are used to attache things like telephoto or wide angle adapter lenses so they are sized to have the glass right at the end of the extended lens. Normally they use a smaller opening so the filters are cheaper.

wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:28 PM   #7

eureka07

Yes.. you can useitin auto focus mode and manual focuscan give u sharper images.

There are different types zoom or wide angle lens etc.. firstlythe pana LTZ10 zoom made for the Z10/20is the best lens by miles, its expensive though see mytxt file for links / info and example pics.. of the different lens.. other than that its personal choice and cost ! ... take your time and enjoy the existing 432mm zoom its a great camera

eureka07

only the focusing makes the image sharp in the evf.. always take 2/3shots of a subject cos theres no guarantee all will be sharp but the lens stabilization / anti shake will help..

:-)

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 6:04 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied

One more question!

Which kind of UV filter do I need ? Circular or not ?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 6:55 PM   #9

AFAIK there is only one kind of UV filter. There are different kind of polarizing filters, but that's a different filter.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 5:05 AM   #10

Sorry !

I meant HMC and Super HMC or just UV !?

I was tired last night