Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:09 PM   #1

I want to be able to use the FZ20 in P Mode.(I am a serious newbie). How does it function for every day shooting of the kids indoors and outdoors, birthday parties, etc. Is it too sophisticated to be a point and shoot? I know my wifedoes notwant to bechanging settings. Are there any "must change" settings? If I do make changes do they stay until changed again or do you have to change every time?
ppeete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:50 PM   #2

You do not need the FZ20! The FZ3 is adequate to you and your wife need. It has 'simple' mode.

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:
LifeWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:36 PM   #3

I agree with LifeWorld that the fz3 is what you need for family photos. The size alone makes it a more reasonable purchase. As you get used to it you may want to use your own settings rather than the auto settings of Simple Mode. Those settings will be saved and become the default settings of P mode. For instance, Ifeel that setting the white balance to cloudy gives better colors than auto so I use that asthe wbdefault setting.Another reason forNOT using Simple Mode is that it defaults to the lowest compression which essentially doubles the image file size. IMO, the difference between high and low compression is undetectable. You will get twice as many shots on a memory card and not hog up your hardrive with high (standard) compression.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:40 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
[...] Another reason for NOT using Simple Mode is that it defaults to the lowest compression which essentially doubles the image file size. IMO, the difference between high and low compression is undetectable. You will get twice as many shots on a memory card and not hog up your hardrive with high (standard) compression.
Have you actually made the test by shooting the same pic with both settings? I'm gonna test my FZ10 it that as soon as I can, but I would like to know other people's experiences.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:01 PM   #5

You can compare the specks of both cameras at...

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ms=71418|71421|

The FZ3 has no hot shoe, no ED lense, and does not support conversion lenses...

I am not saying to go with the FZ20, but if this is something that you or your wifemay want to expand on in the future, you may want to consider it.

The FZ20 is also a great point and shoot camera... Just put it in P mode and fire away.

I have some sample pics at this site...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze81jmt/index.html

Most of these are point and shoot in P mode. The only ones that are not are the night shots.

Compare the specks, matbe do a little research, and make your own choice...

They are both great cameras.

Hope this helps.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote