Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 9, 2004, 5:30 PM   #11

I found Steves Review of the Panasonic FZ20 quite good.
However I was also reading the review by Jeff Keller http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml that kind of makes the Panasonic FZ20 sound not too great due to the noise he keeps mentioning...
I dunno.. I have been surfing all over the net to see actual shots taken by both Pros and Ordinary people and was comparing them to the Z3 and hence chose FZ20 as out of the lot ite seemed to produce really nice pics..

Thks and Take Care
fireworkz

Edit: I just noticed Steves Sample photos.. Is it me or does the blue sky look grainy in the pics.. see them full size..
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:14 PM   #12

fireworkz wrote:
Quote:
I found Steves Review of the Panasonic FZ20 quite good.
However I was also reading the review by Jeff Keller http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml that kind of makes the Panasonic FZ20 sound not too great due to the noise he keeps mentioning...
I dunno.. I have been surfing all over the net to see actual shots taken by both Pros and Ordinary people and was comparing them to the Z3 and hence chose FZ20 as out of the lot ite seemed to produce really nice pics..

Thks and Take Care
fireworkz

Edit: I just noticed Steves Sample photos.. Is it me or does the blue sky look grainy in the pics.. see them full size..

Jeff said things like "a little grainy", and "a little noisy", but in his conclusion says that the FZ20 is one of, if not the best digital zoom camera on the market.

As long as the noise is not a problem... I don't see what everyone is making a big deal about.

I have viewed samples of different cameras at random, and they all have noise. Some a little more... Some a little less... But they all have it.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:54 AM   #13

fireworkz wrote:
Quote:
I noticed the exact same thing. The sky does seem noisey at full size on the FZ-20. That surprised me because I assume this was at its lowest ISO setting. The contrast on the stucco looks better in the crop of the FZ-20 but it looks like it was taken at a slightly different angle? It's a wash between the FZ-3 and 20 at full size. Pics look slightly different but not necessarily better, imo.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:56 AM   #14

steve wrote:
Quote:
The EVF does NOT gain-up on the FZ 3, 15 or 20 - that was in error and has been corrected.* It is a shame because this is where an EVF camera could really be better than a dSLR if they just amplified the signal electronically -- I wouldn't even mind it going grainy and monochrome in these conditions.** Seeing anything is better than nothing.
I'll never get that one. Why do they do this?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote