Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1

Hi!

I live in the UK but I'm off to the US in November and am thinking of buying a FZ3 whilst I'm out there.(No vat, lower price and no carraige charges..) One thing though that worries me is getting a UK 240volt ac adaptor for it when I bring it back with me. Is there anywhere I can order one and will it work okay?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BritAngie
BritAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:57 PM   #2

HI

My FZ10 came from the USA and the power adaptor takes any lead we use here, the black type with 2 holes that you use for other appliances, or cut the USA plug off the supplied lead and fit a UK plug

IE

black lead witha uk plug on and the plastic open connector on the other end, that goes in the pana charger :-)
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 1:34 PM   #3

Thanks for replying!

So what you are saying is that if I simply plug the two pin plug into a travel plug adaptor (two pin to 3 pin) and plug in it will be fine? I won't blow anything with the extra voltage of 110 volts to 240?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:49 PM   #4

Hi

you can use theAmerican Plug as it is over there, when you come home cut the plug off and fit aUK plug...

ie no travel adaptor reqd in USA> for the camera

but you will see what i meant when you see it, the actual charger and the cable are separate so you can use anotherUK plug lead (from another appliance) with the charger..like i do...

the voltage is 110v to 240v so no problem... (takes up to 240)

have a good time its a great country / camera, LOL butfit a UVfilter..

:-):-):-)

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:19 PM   #5

I think you might want to check this out al little more. The FZ1/FZ10 series have a separate charger unit that connects to two cords. One plugs into the AC outlet (mains) and the other plugs into the camera, so the charger can be used as a DC power supply for the camera.

The new series (FZ3/FZ15/FZ20) have a charger that is only one isolated package--no cords. The charger is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and plugs directly into the wall AC outlet using some retractable prongs. There is no cord, and no plug that you could cut off.

I just checked the specs on my FZ3 charger. It it rated for input voltage of 110-240 volts, and either 50 or 60 Hertz, so you should be OK to use it in Europe. The only thing you will need to do will be to get an adapter that will change the US style of AC plug (2 flat blades) to the type you use in Europe. These adapters are readily available.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:06 AM   #6

Thank you! That's just what I wanted to hear!

Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:57 PM   #7

Thanks for your help! I now own that FZ3 and now find I need to download the photos from it via the camera itself after a two week trip to the USA. Can anyone recommend where to get a UK panasonic a/c lead for it as there wasn't one included in the US retail set at all to put a uk plug onto. Only the battery charger which I need to get a uk converter plug for anyhow. I found the sd card won't let me grab all the pics straight from the card itself so hoping the camera download option is what is needed to get all the pics off.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:24 PM   #8

Just did the logical thing and check the uk panasonic site to see how much their ac adaptor would cost for the camera. Seems they don't have power adaptors listed for the FZ3 or the Fz20. They have the uk battery chargers and batteries but no a/c lead. Very puzzling. :?:
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:15 PM   #9

Try going toPanasonic's website and look for the charger/adapter for the FZ1 or FZ10. These cameras have a charger that includes a DC power cord which plugs into the camera. The same cord will work on the newer FZ series (FZ3/15/20). If you can find a charger for the FZ1 that works on the mains in the UK, you should be in business.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:51 PM   #10

Thank you!

Eeeek just checked. £56.00 for an ac adaptor!! *thud*.. I don't think I'll be getting one of those... streuth!! wonder if I could get a US one and get a changer plug.