Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:30 AM   #1

OK, I have run extensive tests, I might have not told the whole truth on these forums, but my name is Eric Reed, how do you do!. I am a graduate of Parsons School of Design, I have a BFA in photography. If you google me you can see the photo contests that I have won, in addition to the many other aspects of my creative life. I don't mean to bash anything. But you have to understand. I bought the FZ-20 and the memory cards and theltz-10 which cost me an additional $425 dollars ( I got it at videodirect.com). I wanted to love the camera, but the truth is that the camera is mediocre, at best. I don't care what anyone else says. I have been in this field for over 20 years, and this camera is at a sub-standard level.

Just so you know, my previous posts led an authorized Panosonic consultant to e-mail me, on a private level. This Panasonic "consultant" revealed the fact that the camera was flawed. They admitted to the fact that the focusing was sub-standard, they basically wanted to shut me up, because I was the closest thing to someone who knew what the heck was going on.

Most of you who just shoot landscapes or nature, will not experience the inherent problems that this camera has, but it has problems, to the extent that Panasonic has made efforts to shut me up. I have now run extensive tests using Olympus and Canon equivalent models, and the FZ-20 fails miserably in comparison. And yes, I know you all want me to post my results, but unfortunately, no one is paying me, and this isn't my field, so I urge all of you to run these tests for yourself, but the FZ-20 has deficient image quality compared to it's competitors.

It fails especially when you try to photograph the human form. The pictures lack sharpness (and I shoot boosting the sharpness to its maximum). The auto-focus never seems to focus on the subject, and this, Panasonic, has specifically e-mailed me that they are having a problew with, and, if you never used any other camera, go out and get one, now! because the focusing is so much superior to the fz-20

Please understand me, I wanted so much to embrace the FZ-20, so much that I was one of the first owners, plus I bought all of the accessories (which in total added up to over $2k). The FL-28 flash is really crap. It sucks. I don't want to sound like some street thug, but it really is an incredibly bad design. First off, Panasonic doesn't give you TTL focusing. What the ****!!!!! In this day an age, after paying a premium price (remember guys, I am with you, I want to love this piece of machinery which I still own). Why is this flash automatic only. Let me tell you, I own the Olympus C-770 and the flash for that camera is identical in all aspects, b/c it is made by the same company, and it has ttl. Why has Panasonic gyped us??? I have read hundreds, if not thousands of reviews glorifying this camera, but the proof is in the pudding, almost all other cameras are superior in image quality. Panasonic only exceeds in specific features, like image stabilization, which fail in comparison to the previous Olympus models.

If you love this camera, you haven't shot in all situations, esp. dealing with the human form. Before you chastise me for my criticisms, you need to try other cameras. I hate to say it, being that I spent over 2k on this system, but It sucks! It totally sucks, and anyone reading this who is wondering whether or not to buy this camera----don't buy it, it really is inferior, and any Canon or Olympus will give you superior image quality. Panasonic does offer some pretty great features, but the problem is, when you push down on the shutter and get the picture, the results fail, miserably, in comparison. And Please, once again, understand, I wanted to love this camera, and I am out about $2k, because this camera, as great as the features are, sucks, and darn anyone who wants to rebutt this. I am from NYC, I am a professional in the field for half the price you can get a much better camera, don't waste your money. And Panasonic, you can blow me, even though you got my money. This camera is an insult to modern technology, and you know it. Admit it and I may forgive you. But you won't. People, explore your options and stay away from this camera, if you want more info, please I emplore you to e-mail me at [email protected].
shakey hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:51 AM   #2

i am a newbie at this field and I have recently brought this camera! I would like to say that i don't know much about it, I have taken some great pictures for myself which i am very happy with! I think a lot of people i think who will buy this camera will not be looking for the worlds best camera! because if they did then they would have to spend a lot more money! I understand what your saying but everyone has their own views and mine is to buy one! Every camera has its faults, but overall this camera beats the other cameras in its field!
icualice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:39 AM   #3

OMG Shakey, I'd best keep my money in my pocket then !!!

NOT!

If you really wasted 2k on this camera and extras then your opinion can't count for much as nobody I know could be that stupid !

If I had that sort of cash to blow, I'd get a 'professional' camera and not a compromise... so I'm wondering why you posted this message on here ?

I doub't very much that you are that stupid, so you obviously didn't spend any money, don't have the camera, which is why you couldn't post any examples of you ramblings.

Do you 'work' for the opposition ?
Are you a Panasonic hater ?
Or do you just like to stir it up ?

Whatever you are, I feel for you as you obviously need some help!

Kind Regards, and good luck
dontmailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:22 AM   #4

Being a beginner to all this, I'm not discrediting"shakey hands" findings just yet. I had some time this past weekend to go outside and have fun with the camera. After getting home and placing on the pc, I'm noticing there are "some" photos I've taken of the "human form" which SHOULD'VE turned out clear but was very very surprised that the picture turned out "un-focused" or soft on the "human form". I've got some examples to show it. What's weird is it seem to not happen all the time. Obviously during all these photo shots, I made sure the camera was focused on the person's face. It appears to me as though the camera has continuous focus on all the time although itis turned off.

Again, I'm still new to all this and this is my FIRST dc (so be kind :-)). I really like this camera and I'm not giving up on it yet. I'm thinking about trying out the other focus options available on the camera. I'm thinking maybe Spot focus might solve the problem.
nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:24 AM   #5

Can you post a picture, or do a comparison between two cameras so we can see what you're talking about? If the issue is image quality, that should be easy to demonstrate.

What you discuss doesn't jibe with other comments and other user experience. I'm not a pro but why should the "human form" be more difficult to acquire sharp focus than - say, a chair? Other pros (Linn as an example) have posted many FZ-20 pics on this site and seem to like the camera.

Post some pics, please... A picture is worth a 1000 word (rant).

Nick T.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:21 AM   #6
Administrator

shakey hands wrote:
Quote:
OK, I have run extensive tests, I might have not told the whole truth on these forums, but my name is Aric Nathaniel Friedman. I am a graduate of Parsons School of Design, I have a BFA in photography. If you google me you can see the photo contests that I have won, in addition to the many other aspects of my creative life.
Aric:

You're going to need to help me out here.

I tried searching with Google for "Aric Nathaniel Friedman" and came up with zero matches.

So, I tried searching for "Aric Friedman" and came up with an Aric Friedman that is a licensed Massage Therapist in Queens:

http://www.foresthillsmassage.com/about.html

A further search revealed one photo of the day from 2002 (whichjust happens to be of the Long Island Sound at Sunset):

http://www.digicamplus.com/Archives/June2002/10.htm

Quote:
I don't care what anyone else says. I have been in this field for over 20 years, and this camera is at a sub-standard level.

[snip]

Iam from NYC, I am a professional in the field for half the price you can get a much better camera, don't waste your money.
Aric, perhaps you can help me out with my search engine skills (since you suggested using Google),so that I can find the correct links to look at the photo contests won by a professional in the field. I must be finding the wrong Aric Friedman in the NY area.

Thanks.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:48 AM   #7

shakey hands wrote:
Quote:
my name is Aric Nathaniel Friedman. If you google me you can see the photo contests that I have won
Google came up with one hit, a rather run of the mill (and quite noisy) sunset from June, 2002 taken with the oly c2100; shown below. No "human form" shots were found.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:50 AM   #8

nhan wrote:
Quote:
It appears to me as though the camera has continuous focus on all the time although it is turned off.
Try to turn continuous auto focus on and see what happens. Then turn it off and see what happens. It's obvious that continuous auto focus isn't on all the time.

By the way I would really know how the camera "sees" if it's focusing on a human form or a non human form?

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe Spot focus might solve the problem.
You should't use 9 or 3 point focus for portraits. But one point focus or spot focus on the eye.
mbjergstroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:04 AM   #9

Somehow I think that guy never owned a FZ20.

Who would be stupid enough to spend 2 grand on a camera that has a fixed ultra zoom lens if you are doing portrait shots? Are you shooting from a mile away or something? Get a DSLR and a nice lens for the same (or less). And what would you spend 2 grand on? First there is $550 for the camera. You wouldn't spend any more for the flash, because if you have been in the trade 20 years, I would expect a full range of flashes you have had over the years. Why would you get a teleconverter if you already have the 12x and you are doing human shots? I fail to see where the other $1450 went. Unless you spent $1450 on 14GB worth of SD cards

I think just about everyone who complains about bad image quality with the FZ20 is either expecting DSLR quality (which it isn't..) or they have no idea how to use the camera.

If you just want to make fun of a camera, at least do it well.

If you want people to believe you, you will have to post pictures
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:12 AM   #10

Thanks for the pointers. Most of the shots taken during thetime wason the one point focus option. I've not used or tried the multi-point options.

Quote:
"Try to turn continuous auto focus on and see what happens. Then turn it off and see what happens. It's obvious that continuous auto focus isn't on all the time."
I certainly do plan to play with this.

BTW, I do think that the thread title is too harsh. This is still a GREAT camera since a majority of my pictures do turn out well. As most have commented before, the optical zoom plus OIS on this thing IS truly phenomenal!

Quote:
"Can you post a picture, or do a comparison between two cameras so we can see what you're talking about? If the issue is image quality, that should be easy to demonstrate."
I will once I get a chance. I'm away at work...geez I better hurry up on this post..

Quote:
"A picture is worth a 1000 word (rant)."
I totally agree. I might be off based (very likely) butmy issue could be morerelated tofocusing problems instead. Portrait shots (even those zoomed from a distance) are very nice.

In addition::
Quote:
Shakey hands: And yes, I know you all want me to post my results, but unfortunately, no one is paying me, and this isn't my field, so I urge all of you to run these tests for yourself, but the FZ-20 has deficient image quality compared to it's competitors."
I find this to be a lame excuse...since youhave thesamples already, why not show it to really backupthe claim and let others judge for themselves?

nhan is offline   Reply With Quote