Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:19 PM   #1

If you have any photography skills at all, you can get good pictures of "the human form" quite easily with the FZ20.

This is one I shot today with my FZ20. (And in case you're wondering,it's not my kid...) I shot this picture with autofocus, and the camera was handheld in sports mode.

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]If you have $2000 to blow... go buy yourself a nice digital SLR and a big lens. But if your budget is more like $600... the FZ20 is the camera for you.[/align]

[align=left]I think the thing some people don't realize is that you really need to push the shutter button halfway and let the camera lock on. If you don't do that first, and you just try to hit the shutter button all the way when you "see" the shot you want, you're going to end up with a lot of out-of-focus pictures.
[/align]
Jim Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:06 PM   #2

i agree to some level with mr shake, since the first time i shoot a guy and filled my 256 card, 98% of the photos were out of focus and in great daylight conditions, so i guess the autofocus is pretty much the suck.

im not used to more cameras so i cant comment on it, even the only film camera i used before is a praktica l that is full manual, but i has carefull to see if the fotos were focused before shooting (ie. green light). so , in order to use fz10 you have to be much more carefull with focusing or else you get nothing good from it, that could not be so bad in some situations, but is in most.

i can come up with a decently sharp image(even at 100% is decently sharp) with a bit of carefull work:

but that takes the moment away and i already lost great ones.

i guess if i only knew more about fotography before i woudnt have bought fz10(becouse i dont really need 12x zoom), but im not all that pissed about it, its not a horrible camera....

well, maybe if you spent $2000 on it, it is.
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:42 PM   #3

Frederico wrote:
Quote:
i agree to some level with mr shake, since the first time i shoot a guy and filled my 256 card, 98% of the photos were out of focus and in great daylight conditions, so i guess the autofocus is pretty much the oops.

I just read this post. So I grabed my FZ20, turned it on, put it in program mode, popped the flash up, went into my daughters room, and snapped off 10 shots of her & her friend one right after the other.

The camera focused every time and very quickly, and all the shots came out crystal clear.

Now I don't know if there are a bunch of defective cameras out there, or maybe people who don't realize that when the camera focuses that maybe it's focusing on something other than what they want it to focus on in certain contrast situations, and they do not look to see if there subject is even in focus before taking the shot (which I think is probably the case).

But I do know that I went through 3 other digital cameras before this one (1soney and 2 canons), and this one focuses better than all of them.

If you are composing a shot and the camera focuses on something else other than the thing you want it to focus on, you may need to re-focus and make sure it focuses on the right thing, and maybe even use a different metering or AF mode depending on the conditions. And I am pretty sure this is true with any digital camera.

Everyone wants to blame the equipment for their errors.

bobc

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:20 PM   #4

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I just read this post. So I grabed my FZ20, turned it on, put it in program mode, popped the flash up, went into my daughters room, and snapped off 10 shots of her & her friend one right after the other.

The camera focused every time and very quickly, and all the shots came out crystal clear.
The picture is certainly clear, but it looks like some distortion :lol:.

Linda
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:32 PM   #5

ROFL:G

bobc
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:57 PM   #6

Look behind her. I think she just polished off a bottle of Parrot Bay rum...
Jim Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:03 PM   #7

ROFL Again...:lol:

bobc
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:28 PM   #8

yep.. i see that first time was all my fault but fz10 does sometimes even in good light conditions take some time to focus, i guess this haves to do with having a big lens, so im not really bothered, and fz20 must have faster af anyway with venusII.

Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:28 PM   #9

yep.. i see that first time was all my fault but fz10 does sometimes even in good light conditions take some time to focus, i guess this haves to do with having a big lens, so im not really bothered, and fz20 must have faster af anyway with venusII.

Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:15 PM   #10

You might want to see if you have continuous autofucus enabled. If not, turn it on and you will see a big difference. With it turned on, the camera is always trying to focus on what is in the center of your EVF. This can reduce the time it takes to take the shot after you press the shutter button. I guess the only downside of this is that it will use a little more of your battery life, and there will be a little extra wear and tear on the focusing mechanism.

I rarely use my continuous autofocus on my FZ3, however. I prefer to compose the shot and then press halfway down on the shutter to lock focus and then press the shutter all the way down. This reduces shutter lag (which isn't all that much anyway.)
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote