Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:54 PM   #1

I understand that, at least on the FZ10, the design of the adaptor for filters requires that the filter is put on the outside of the lens hood, away from the lens, creating problems.

Is this true on the DMC-FZ3? If so, is there an aftermarket solution, e.g., a filter adapter which sites closer to the lens. I understand there are some of these options for the DMC-FZ10, DMC-FZ15, and DMC-FZ20, but I am interested in the DMC-FZ3.

Info and links appreciated.
nrshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:47 PM   #2

The lens hood adapter that comes with the fz3 can also be used to accept 55mm threaded filters. The stock adapter also gets the add-on lens as close to the extended fz3 lens as possible. The stock adapters with the fz10/15/20 are much larger diameter (72mm vs 55mm) and put thefilter more than an inch away from the camera lens.Thus the neccessity of a third party adapter for the big boys.
Download the fz3 manual at http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ3PP.PDF
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3

I agree. With the supplied adapter on, the lens is very close to the end of the adapter tube when it is fully extended. I don't think that it will be possible to get a shorter tube that will work with the lens fully extended. As a side note, the standard lens cap fits very well on the threads of a 55mm filter attached to the adapter ring.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the info and the link. I see the adaptor is separate from the hood and that's great!
nrshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote