Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:14 PM   #1

...just curious. Looks like folks are going for the FZ-20, mainly. FZ-15 seems to be the Jan Brady of the Lumix line. (Personally, I would go with the FZ-10 for the hot-shoe if given the choice between the 15 and the 10...)
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:18 PM   #2
Fox

Me
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:45 PM   #3

I got my FZ15 last week. Sorry, this was taken at 1600x1200....

[img]file:///D:/Pictures/events/Safety%20Fair%2010-04/Safety%20Fair%20055.jpg[/img]
FZnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:00 PM   #4

hmmmm. I wonder if they are going to come out with a FZ25, and FZ30...:?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:55 PM   #5

How do you like it? Why did you go with the 15? Do you mind not having a hotshoe? Not knocking the camera (at all) just curious. Most posters seem to be 20 owners these days. You 15 folks are a quite lot.

PS When you get around to picking up a flash, DO check out the Vivitar DF 200. 'mazin for its price, despite a so-so build quality.

Nick T.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Fox

Bobc, I think we will see a FZ25 30 and even a 50. From what I have read, Panasonic is really dedicated to getting more and more into the digital camera market. I even read that a DSLR is in the works. We will see.

Nick, Sorry for being so quite about the FZ15, I hope in the future I will be able to be more vocal about it. I just got the camera and have not had much time to give it a good workout. From the few pics I have taken, I will have to say that it is a great camera. I have shot indoors and outdoors. Even in very low light. Most all my pictures have turned out great. The ones that didn't are my own fault. I have the camera set to ISO 64 and noise reduction to low and the pics look great!

A few reasons I didn't go with the 20. Most of the pics I do are outside and usually go to DVD with video footage I shoot. I don't print my pictures out that much but it will be nice to be able to print then out when the need arises. The other reason was that I wanted to get my daughter a camera as well and I could not do it if I got the FZ20. Maybe the time will come when I will wish I had the hotshoe and the extra megapixel, but till then I will be happy with what I have.

BTW can I use the Vivitar DF 200 with the FZ15?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:17 PM   #7

Yes! The DF 200 will work with the 15 and the 3. It's my favorite (new) toy. It is a digital slave flash that compensates for the white-balance preflash the lumixes use. Most slave flashes (still) for some reason don't compensate for this. Goes for around $60. It's powerful and very full-featured but you sacrifice a bit on build quality. Mounts to the camera with a provided bracket (though I went out and bought an L-bracket.)

Thanks for the post, just was wondering what folks think of the 15. I haven't seen any reviews of it yet, nor many other posts.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:59 PM   #8

Just curious, is the Fz15 only available in the USA? I'm sure I read that somewhere... I knowI haven't seen itat stores here in Canada...
roge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:51 AM   #9

hey Nick

HI

whats triggering that vivitar df200 slave if the Z15 is without a hotshoe or connection ?

must be picking up a signal ?

thats damn handy if it stops redeye( not in direct line )

does that work with FZ10 ?

TIA

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:37 AM   #10

Hi Jayde -

It is a slave flash. The flash on the Z-15 (or any other camera, including the 10) would go off and by so doing it would trigger the Vivitar. It comes with a bracket that mounts to your camera's tripod mount. I use an L bracket though (around $15) - same thing except it holds the flash over the camera - like those old newsphotographer cameras, which theoretically should reduce red-eye. I'm not sure if it's the flash or coincidence, but I haven't noticed red-eye since using the big flash. The Lumixes surprisingly have an issue with this, even with red-eye reduction mode.

Nick

PS Not all "slaves" work with the Lumixes because they give a preflash for whitebalance before the main one fires, which triggers the slave flash early. The Vivitar is one of the few that compenstate for it.