Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:59 PM   #1

I've taken several indoor pictures of my kids (incadescent lights), in both Portrait Scene mode and "P" mode. Portrait mode seems to always come out with a push towards red everywhere - yellow/reddish skin tones. In P mode , with white balance set to "auto", everything looks great.

It seems like in Portrait Scene mode Panasonic has chosen to change the white balance setting to perhaps assume the picture is being taken in sunlight (which is says in the manual), and not "auto".

Not calling this a problem, just want to make sure others experience this as well, and I don't have a defective camera, which btw is exceeding my expectations generally. Very fun camera to play with.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:24 AM   #2

yes, that is what the white balance settings are for in the camera. Incandescent lighting adds an orange/reddish cast to pictures, while flourescent lighting adds a greenish cast. There is a setting for incandescent lighting under white balance. Change it and you will see a change in your pictures. The auto setting won't work under this lighting.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:45 AM   #3

Jon_Doe wrote:
Quote:
yes, that is what the white balance settings are for in the camera. Incandescent lighting adds an orange/reddish cast to pictures, while flourescent lighting adds a greenish cast. There is a setting for incandescent lighting under white balance. Change it and you will see a change in your pictures. The auto setting won't work under this lighting.
OK Very good, thanks for the validation, however it seems like the Auto setting actually does work, since I use that in P mode and it works fine...and seems like Panasonic assumes sunlight when in Portrait mode. Of course when I use flash indoors in Portrait mode everything comes out fine.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:05 AM   #4

Portrait mode is one of the many things that I have barely tried out, but I got the same "warm" hue. And I just thought panasonic warmed it up for portraits, like many portrait photographers have on hand the 80A,B & C filters which warm the skin tones specifically for portraits. What I am getting at is, has anyone shot portrait mode outdoors, and then comparing to program mode? Maybe Panasonic intentionally warmed the color for portrait mode. Just a thought.
Billy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:49 AM   #5

Good thought... I just went outside and took two pictures (sunlight of course), one in Portrait mode, the other in P. I couldn't distinguish a difference from a color perspective. Which leads me to believe it does have to do with white balance, not any kind of post-processing in the camera in Portrait mode or anything.