Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:06 PM   #1

:shock:I've had my FZ 20 7 days now and the lens makes a racheting sound on startup and shutdown. Anyone else heard this? It's going back tommorrow. Now I wonder about durability and if I should should pop for the extended warranty. Any thoughts?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:12 PM   #2

Look at the front of the lens when you turn it on. Lens extends and then the internal parts move to the wide angle possition. If you can check out the sound of another FZ20 in the store. If your camera has a grinding sound you might have a problem, but some noise is normal. My only complaint so far is that when it goes into the powersave mode it retracts the lens. Extending the lens has to eat a lot of power.

bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:29 PM   #3

My FZ10 lensmade a littlenoise extending in and out, that I could hear and even feel it just a little. I believe it was a normal sound and vibration and was never a concerned.

Having said that, my FZ20 lens I can hardly hear extend in or out and detect no vibration of movement.

The suggestion to compare yours with others in a store is a good one, if it's possible for you.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:28 AM   #4

As other people are saying, it's best to compare your camera with another in the shop (you might have to use your own camera's battery, so have it charged at the ready!). However, especially if it has always done it, it might only be the normal sound anyway. These things are hard to describe in words, but it's normally a smoothish buzz, terminating in a little bit of clattering (kind of tick, tickety-tick - maybe a couple more "ticks"!) which is the mechanical iris and shutter mechanism giving itself a workout. It also does this when shutting down. These sounds are normal for the FZ20, and the FZ10 before it.
Digigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:34 PM   #5

:?:I took the camera back for exchange today. The camera in the store did not make the same sounds I heard. It sounded like a couple of mismatched gears. I knew it didn't sound like that when I first started using it. I'm still thinking of returning it for a full refund befroe I use it as I don't feel good about this cameras long term durability. Anybody have any thoughts about Panasonic build quality?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:40 PM   #6

nooner wrote:
Quote:
:?I took the camera back for exchange today. The camera in the store did not make the same sounds I heard. It sounded like a couple of mismatched gears. I knew it didn't sound like that when I first started using it. I'm still thinking of returning it for a full refund befroe I use it as I don't feel good about this cameras long term durability. Anybody have any thoughts about Panasonic build quality?
I have had mine for a little over a month, and have had no problems (so far). I don't think the camera has been out long enough to proove it's longevity, but I have not heard anything negative in that regaurd about any of the other Lumix Line.

Maybe someone who has owned an FZ10 could give you some idea.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:05 PM   #7

My FZ10 was a little noisy... after about 3 months, the zoom started sticking at the wide-angle end. It started getting worse. Reluctantly, I took it back to the shop for it to be sent back to Panasonic (it was the start of summer, and I REALLY wanted it!). Panasonic had it over a month, and in the end I kicked up a fuss and got a replacement camera... through the generosity of the camera shop. I hear it was months before they got my original camera back. However, my current FZ10 is so far much quiter when zooming and seems okay (touch wood!).

Draw your own conclusions... but despite Panasonic's terrible distribution channels and customer service in the UK, the camera still blows the competition away. Do think about an extended warranty though... I might still buy one for mine.
BobsterLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 5:43 PM   #8

Panasonic, in the past (I don't want to jinx any of us who own the FZ-10/20s) have had an excelllent record for quality, and little incidences of breakdown records. Sony I know has had one of the highest breakdown records.
Billy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:45 PM   #9

I got the 3 year one when I purchased the camera. I figured 3 years of not having to worry was well worth the extra $89.00.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:02 PM   #10

i have the five year warrenty with a free loner on my fz10 through fry's so i don't worry about it craping out ..i think that sooner or later it will wind up in the shop... i'm find that the camera takes better pics using the asm mode ..i like using the full manual mode ,,that way i can set the shutter speed and the f stop....in doors i use auto mode for taking pics with out the flash with natural light...i purchased a good quality tripod from best buy...the tripod improve my success ratio by 100 percent...i would reccomend using a tripod for shooting ..you will be amazed at the differnce in quality..
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote