Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:16 PM   #1

I am looking for an Ultra compact. I want something that goes in my shirt pocket for vacations mainly.

[align=left]I was considering the Pentax S5i (new model) or one of the newCasio Exilim models. However, my research shows these tend to be a bit noisy (although the new Pentax might be better than the outgoing S4i- has anyone seen any reviews of the S5i?).[/align]
[align=left]Given that Panasonic cameras are not widely available in the UK in the stores, I had not even considered one. However, today I visited the Panasonic store in Chester and saw the DMC FX7B. It looks pretty cool ,( if a little larger than the Pentax), but I know it has the image stabilizer and the photos look very good- see the test shots at:[/align]
[align=left]http://www.littleboyinc.com/thumbnails.php?album=64[/align]
[align=left]Size is crucial to me, but i also want good quality pics, having been used to my bulky Cannon Powershot for 2 years.[/align]
[align=left]Anybody have any good unbiased (would it be anything else?) advise as to which camera I should go for?[/align]
[align=left]Cheers People![/align]
OssettBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:40 AM   #2

So far I have shot about 200 pics. Much, much better than my Nikon 885 especially for flash pix and skin tones. Very sharp lens with nice colours. Battery life a bit short though with only about 100 shots max with flash. Charging a 3/4 full battery still takes 1 hr, which is too long. Otherwise love it for its pic quality and compact size.
aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:18 AM   #3

Cheers for that.

Is the photo sharp, and does it have much noise.

I am now thinking it is down to this and the new Pentax S5i, but I have not seen the quality of the pics on this new camera- has anybody seen a review yet?

Aquarius- any chance of posting some sample pics?

thanks

OssettBoy
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:27 AM   #4

The pics are sharp. Very little post processing needed. Sorry can't post any pics as I am travelling and have not loaded in Photoshop into my laptop. First time I'm travelling with only a digital. A digital requires me to lug one more charger, whereas my Ricoh GR1s is just 2 rolls of film. Film still better but now the FX7 is actually quite fun. I'm happy with it and the OIS is great.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5

Thanks for that, Steve has posted a review of it now.

He seemed to prefer the Casio ZX55, at least on price.

The pics on the Panasonic look good to me, very detailed.

I will wait to see a review of Pentax S5i then make a decision, weighing up pros and cons of all cameras.

Many thanks for your help.

Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:40 AM   #6

Jeff Keller of dcresource has just posted some pics. You may want to have a look.