Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:11 AM   #11

Jim... Let me ask you this... Did you ever get a static discharge from your finger while plugging the cable in to the USB port or camera?

If so, You should maybe just send the camera in just in case.

You should always touch the frame of the computer before plugging anything in. I trashed a wireless nic card like that once. I'm not saying that you did, just asking.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:50 AM   #12

Just a thought, I never use those slow USB cables, I use a card reader, they are fast and Windows XP recognizes them in an instant and asks you where to put the pictures...

The readers have become very reasonable to buy, I just bought one that reads 8 different kinds of cards including the SD for $27.77 at Wal Mart, it's by SanDisk...very fast and easy way to get LOTS of pics quick to the computer, without that camera hassle which runs down the battery very fast anyway.

Just a thought for you!

Linda:|
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:01 AM   #13

I already have a reader card. It works great. However, with a new camera (I've only had it 7 days), I want it to be perfect - no cable defects, no camera defects. The SD reader is a workaround, but, as long as the camera is this new, I would like to get a replacement without any defects in either the cable or the camera.

In response to a previous question, no static discharge of any kind. After several successful uploads, it (the cable connection) just stopped working.
JimBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:03 AM   #14

My printer had crd slots built into it. I have always used them rather than plugging te camera in. It's just easier.

But... If it where my FZ20 that I just sunk $600.00 (just for the camera) into, It would definately be going back, just in case.

bobc
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:11 PM   #15

Sounds like the USB cable to me. It can't hurt to call around to a big box comp or electronic store or look around the internet and buy a replacement cable. If it doesn't work, return the cable or keep it as a spare. (Perhaps Panasonic can ship you one for free? Worth a shot, since it's still under warranty.) Personally I would do this - and eat the cost of the cable, rather than subject my new camera to the rigors of the UPS or USPS - and the service center.

Let us know what the problem is, any how you made out!

Good luck...

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:32 AM   #16

I talked to Butterfly Photo (where I bought the camera). They gave me authorization to return the camera for refund. I also ordered a new one from same company. If all goes well, I can keep and continue to use the "defective" camera until the new one arrives, at which time I'll return the "defective" camera for a refund.

They are not set up to just replace the cable. They suggested that I contact Panasonic for a replacement cable, but, by the time I got the cable, I would have exceeded the 14 day camera exchange period with the vendor. If it's not the cable, but the camera that's at fault, I would be stuck with sending the camera in for warranty service.

The good news is that the price has dropped in the last week. I am buying a replacement camera for less than I paid for the original camera. This should cover any shipping return costs with some change left over.

So far, I'm very pleased with the FZ20 camera, despite my cable problems. The auto focus seems to be slightly more accurate than the FZ10. I mainly shoot birds, which usually requires considerable cropping, so every additional pixel helps. Visit my website for samples of bird pictures taken in the wild, mostly with the FZ10 and Olympus teleconverter:

bailey.aros.net/nature
JimBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:52 AM   #17

Jim,

I am glad to hear the news about your camera. Especially about keeping the old one while you are waiting for the new one. You should think about getting a reader. It saves on the battery, and they are USB 2.0, which means the speed is about 10+MB per second. My printer has built in slots, so I never even took my cables out of the bag.

Your site is very nice. many great pics. I am getting into birds as well. I have 7 of my most recent posted in the following thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I would appreciate you oppinion on them. Birds are definately a challenge to shoot. I am just a beginner, but I am getting to the point where my shots are getting sharper, and I am starting to learn the manual settings work much better.

Anyway... Great news about your camera.

bobc