Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 17, 2004, 3:47 PM   #1

Hi,

I have recently replaced my FZ10 with an FZ20 and have been very happy with the camera up until now. It has, all of the sudden, stopped working with the USB cable. The camera itself functions normally, but will not go into transfer mode when hooked up to the computer with the USB cable. The camera just runs as if no cable were attached. I've tried different USB ports, resetting the camera to factory default settings, rebooting the computer (Windows XP), using a different computer, etc. It appears that either the cable is defective, or something's wrong with the internal wiring of the camera. I've also tried switching back and forth between USB settings of PC and PTP to see if this would make a difference. I've had the new camera about a week and have shot and uploaded hundreds of pictures successfully until now. It's an awesome camera. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a solution other than returning the camera for replacement or warranty repair?

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Jim :sad:

bailey.aros.net/nature
JimBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:40 PM   #2

I had some problems too- but due to havig an older computer. Apparently my USB ports aren't powerful enough to handle the camera.
My solution was to buy a card reader for twenty dollars or so. Not only am I able to upload pictures to my hunk o' junk computer but am able to save battery power for more important occasions- like taking pictures of course.
Perhaps test the camera on another computer before returning?
alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:12 PM   #3

try pluging the camera into another computer..if it doesn't read it the cable could be defective..try another cable if that doen't do it then the camera is defective
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:27 PM   #4

In my initial post, I did mention using a different computer. This didn't work. I'm guessing it's the cable, but it could be something wrong with the plug connection on the camera.

As I'm just barely within the 10 day return/exchange period, I'm tempted to just return the whole thing for a direct exchange. This leaves me without my beloved FZ20 (serious withdrawal), so I'll see if they'll send me a new camera (and charge my card), followed by a refund when they receive the defective camera.

I could also take the cable to a local camera store to see if the fault is with the cable (most likely). Trouble is, they're not likely to assist me here, seeing as the camera was purchased via the Internet.

I love this camera. The thought of shipping it off for an exchange is frightening. What if the replacement camera has other more serious problems? I guess I'm mildly paranoid. :roll:
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:33 PM   #5

See if... Instead of returning it, if they can send you another cable to try. And let them know that if that is not the problem then you will return the camera for an exchange.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:37 PM   #6

did you check toomake sure the camera is in the usb mode in set up ..go to play back hit menu.*****oll down to the usb mode and make sure that is high lighted
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:42 PM   #7

I've thought of this, and I will suggest this to them first. However, I doubt that they have replacement cables they can send me. It won't hurt to ask.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:46 PM   #8

As far as I know, it's always in the USB mode. In this mode, you select either PC or PTP. I have chosen PC, which is the mass storage mode. In other words, the computer treats the SD card as a hard disk. If you want to use the SD viewer supplied with the camera, I think this is the only way to go.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:55 PM   #9

it was just a thought jim...i quess the cable is the next step...find an authorized repair shop i sure they will check the cable out for you..or call panasonic for an rma number...
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:06 AM   #10

JimBailey wrote:
Quote:
I've thought of this, and I will suggest this to them first. However, I doubt that they have replacement cables they can send me. It won't hurt to ask.
They might do it. I was repairing a computer for my brother and law, and I suspected the mother board to be bad. He called the company and they wanted to speak with me. I explained to them that I knew what I was doing and how I narrowed it down to the mother board. They sent me the mother board rather than have to pay for shipping as well as pay someone to troubleshoot & repair the computer.

They may do the same in this case being that it's only a cable. It may be cheaper for them to just send you the cable.

Just a thought.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote