Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:55 PM   #1

Hello all,

This is my first posting on this seemingly great forum, and I have a question that I'm hoping the membership can help with. After reading quite a few sites, I've narrowed my choice for a new camera to either the FZ10 or FZ15. I know the 15 is a later model, but I'm wondering just what advantages the 15 might have over the 10. I am thinking of purchasing the 10 because it has a hotshoe, but the newer 15 is only $10 more. Is the 15 really a better camera than the 10?

In case you're wondering, I'm not planning on the FZ20, as 4mp is enough for my purposes, and I do have to draw the line on cost somewhere.....

Should I just say the heck with it and buy an FZ3, which is $30 less than an FZ10? (not likely at this point)

thanks for your time..

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:06 PM   #2

I can't comment on the FZ15 as I only have the FZ10. The only the reason why I'd go for the FZ15 over the FZ10 would be for the new grip as I tend to find the one on the FZ10 not big enough for my hand. I'd go for the FZ10 just for the hotshoe and the ability to records video with audio.

I like my FZ10 and dont intend to upgrade it for now and if I do it'll be for the FZ20 as I think thats the 10's real successor.

Best bet is to go into a store and try them out side by side and see which one your comfortable with.

Harj

:-)
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:22 PM   #3

The quality image is quite similar in both Dcs, though the FZ10 saturates the colors a bit more...I think FZ15 has more real colors...I dont know wich of them reduce noise better, maybe the FZ10 but Im still waiting that Steve completes his review and posts some Iso 64 shots. So far the FZ10 is the less noisy of the whole FZ line (FZ1 FZ3 and FZ20) according to a couple of reviews posted.

the main reason to buy the FZ10 is beacuse of its hotshoe and the Iso 50. I dont mind the ability to record video with audio since up to now I have not recorded any second of video.

But whatever will be your choice, you are gonna be satisfied with the results.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:05 PM   #4

I don't know if you're into movies that much, but if you are, be advised that the FZ15 does not take audio with its movies. That wouldn't bother me, but it does make a difference to some people.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:29 PM   #5

propwash wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if you're into movies that much, but if you are, be advised that the FZ15 does not take audio with its movies.Â* That wouldn't bother me, but it does make a difference to some people.
Sure, It makes a difference to many people but not for me. I use my DC only for taking photos, I also have a tiny camcorder which has better video quality than my FZ10.

Best Regards,
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:41 PM   #6

propwash wrote:
Quote:
[...] be advised that the FZ15 does not take audio with its movies.

Well... doesn't it?

From steve's review: "Movie - Capture motion JPEG with audio, length is limited only to available memory"

:?: :?:

I remember there was a thread in here, talking about this and trying to find out if:

a) the FZ15 had a microphone or not.
b) the FZ15 could record movies with audio or not.
c) the FZ15 could record pictures with audio or not.

I don't remember if there was ever a conclusion... perhaps one of the FZ15 owners can enlighten us...?

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:21 AM   #7

I would take the hotshoe over the extra megapixel and other enhancements. Though the 15 is a terrific camera, they all are really, go with the 10.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Fox

Quote:
Well... doesn't it?

From steve's review: "Movie - Capture motion JPEG with audio, length is limited only to available memory"

:?: :?:

I remember there was a thread in here, talking about this and trying to find out if:

a) the FZ15 had a microphone or not.
b) the FZ15 could record movies with audio or not.
c) the FZ15 could record pictures with audio or not.

I don't remember if there was ever a conclusion... perhaps one of the FZ15 owners can enlighten us...?
a) No microphone
b) No audio with the movies
c) No audio with the pictures

Hope this helps
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:22 PM   #9

Do you actually own a z15 or you're just saying?

Because the panasonic webpage for fz15 DEFINITELY states that there's a microphone.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ital%20Cameras
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:57 PM   #10

I have the answer.

The difference between the FZ10 & the FZ15 is...

:idea:

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote