Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:13 PM   #1

Rather trivial this one (well, I hope it is!) - I just wondered whether any other FZ20's out there have this little characteristic that mine has (not shared with my FZ10).

The plastic, sliding power switch moulding in my FZ20 is a slightly loose fit, allowing it to rattle, or chatter. Nothing much, probably less than a mm of clearance difference between it and the "tight" one on my FZ10. The movement is back and forth only (i.e. tip the camera lens up and the switch moves a shade towards the ground, tip it lens down and the switch moves slightly inwards) - that is, I imagine there's a shade more space on this particular camera between the switch and the back cover of the camera (through the hole in which the switch is accessed). The electrical/mechanical action and function of the switch itself is fine - just the same as on the FZ10. I imagine the plastic switch "grip" is a little moulding which sits atop the switch proper, and it's just the moulding which is free to move a little. Apart from a neurotic fear that dust could work in over time and cause the odd problem I don't feel it's too serious (it was like this straight out of the box) but I'd be happier if I knew mine wasn't the only one out there that does it! It's the sort of situation whereI don't feel inclined to return the camera because of it unlessI have to - I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to get a replacement camera with a perfect power switch - butsomething else, really major, wrong with it - Murphy's Law and all that!
Digigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:36 AM   #2

Now that you mention it, my FZ20 power switch will move up and down if I play with it. I don't consider it a defect at this point in time. It doesn't chatter however. What do you do to make it chatter, shake the camera?
JimBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:06 AM   #3

It's actually quite loose on mine - so tilting the camera or tapping the switch with my fingernail is enough to jiggle it and make an audible "chatter". I presume the plastic switch grip (which is the offending part) plays no functional part (apart from providing a finger grip) and is simply held in place by pressure from the back panel of the camera (and it presumably sits on a locating peg on the actual, electro-mechanical switch underneath it) - sort of held there in a "sandwich". It can't actually come off or wander out of position (without removing the camera's back panel!) and it works fine - I guess there's just a bit more space between the back and the plastic switch on mine than on some others. Just a minor irritation really (I hope!) and a manufacturing variation issue? I recall that I once noticed that the Olympus C750UZ of a colleague (that model has a push button power switch which does not alter position when used) was quite different to another colleague's example - one had the button standing proud, whilst the other was quite deeply recessed - another example of manufacturing variation. Both were bought at the same time.
Digigal is offline   Reply With Quote