Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:48 PM   #1
al1

i read somewhere thatwe could get excellent panoramic pictures with a digital camera ?

as i recently got my fz 20 ( in fact my first digital camera ) i wonder how it can work.

can anyone explian , thanks :?
al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:49 PM   #2

The FZ20 comes with the ArcSoft Suite which includes Panoramic Maker 3, which will join two or more PICs together. The program works quite well by detecting similar geometric images between the PICS. If the alignment is off, you can manually position four pointers on each PIC to "force-align." The process works best with distance shots as the perspective is more accurate.

The PIC below was auto-stitched (no manual intervention). I can see no seam at the joining point, which is the leafless tree on the left edge of the garage of the center home. You'll notice the curving road which results from the close proximity.
Attached Images

Jeff L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 3:51 PM   #3
al1

Thank you,

it's so recent i did'nt get to look in the sofware yet as i have so much trying to discover the different features of this camera.

As soon as i get good weather conditions and a subject i'll try this !

Thanks again
Old Oct 25, 2004, 3:01 PM   #4

did you use a tripod or handheld for those pictures you used in the panoramic?
FZ20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5

The PIC was taken with the FZ20 handheld "quick and dirty" (you can tellby the mediocre exposure!) to put together an example for the append. I simply overlapped thearea in the firstPIC by about 20%with no major consideration for vertical alignment.Considering all, it's apretty goodcommentary on the Panoramic Maker software!

I've done several home interior panoramics which worked, however, the stitching alignmentwas quite poor due to the distorted perspective because of the close proximity.
Jeff L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:55 PM   #6

al1 wrote:
Quote:
i read somewhere thatwe could get excellent panoramic pictures with a digital camera ?
There is a panoramic pictures forum right here in Steve's forums, and if you follow the links there you'll get lots of information, including lists of software & so on.

However, you don't need to do it properly to the highest standards to get very satisfying results, and you don't have to use in-camera software at all. You do need sufficient manual control over your digicam to make sure you can lock the exposure for a whole series of shots. E.g., point the camera at the centre of your proposed panorama, or a bit that's mid-way in brightness, read the exposure the camera intends to give, and then change to 'manual' and use the same settings. If you don't do this, the sky tone will change from shot to shot.

Then, using a tripod if you can be bothered, take the sequence of shots as reasonable quality jpegs. I find hand-held works quite well. Try to keep the camera as level as posible, and make sure there's a good overlap between shots. Then use any software you can find to 'stitch' them together.

You can see a rough and ready example, done entirely with free software, if you follow the links in...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=85.

There's a screen-sized representation there.Also, if you can be bothered to wait for the roughly 1MB download, there's a higher resolution version (a) as a jpeg and (b) in its own viewer as a".exe" "Pixmaker Postcard" which is good fun if you fill the screen, zoom in. and use the controls.

Try it for yourself & have fun. Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:07 PM   #7
al1

I finally made my first test, and the result is excellent, however as i shot6 pics with hi-def the result is over 6 mo size.

As i'm not a expert how can i resize it to by seen here?

Anyway, thanks to you all for the helpfull infos i found in this forum

Alain

Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:14 AM   #8

You could just open the file in Photoshop and change the image size and then "save for web".

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:32 PM   #9

I have some good info if you want to go to a higher level or pro level using the FZ line of cameras. I almost don't want to share the info because it would be over kill. But just a thought. Sometimes too much info can make somebody confused about the whole thing.
Attached Images

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:10 PM   #10

A beautifulpanorama, Rezajune. Panorama's are not all that difficult if you keep the horizon and the exposure constant. On Rezajune's pano, I would start at the center (ie, sun in clouds) and move to the left afew shots and then to the rightgoing back each time to the center to set the exposure with a half-shutter press. Overlap about 1/3 and keep the horizon constant and you'vegot it (maybe).

Rezajune - I'd be interested in your "good info" with fz cameras.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote