Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:17 AM   #1

Hi guys/gals,

I'm currentlycontemplating purchasing the FZ20. From everything I have read and seen it is a serious performer for this price bracket, however I'm confused about one small feature which is quite important to me.

The review on this site for the FZ20 mentions in the introduction it has Timelapse capabilities. I downloaded the user manual for the camera but cannot find any mention of it. There is talk of some FLIP ANIM. feature but that seems to only do low resolution pictures stiched into a movie of some sort. Not sure if this feature is tweakable to do proper time lapse.

My question is to those people who actually OWN one of these cameras to see if you can do true timelapse photography with it. I'm talking about consecutive photos without user-intervention set to a repeatingdelay-timer. I'm hoping to be able to fire off an automatic photo every minute or sometimes even every 15min.

Does the FZ20 have this capability or am I going to have to give it a miss on this model?

Thanks for any help!
levvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:49 AM   #2

Hi,
I certainly haven't seen anything related to automatic timelapse photography with FZ20 anywhere. Neither are
there any items in any of the configuration menus.

It has *burst* mode, but I wouldn't exactly call that "timelapse mode". Where did you see this "timelapse capability" being mentioned?

FZ20 *is* a great camera and I'm quite happy with mine
(even though I'm still drooling for an E-1 [or e-300] :?)

- sp
seppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:55 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I was actually mentioned twice on

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html

Just do a FIND on that page for "timelapse".

That's a bit sad as that camera really has everything I want except for timelapse it seems. Other timelapse-capable cameras seem to be more expensive and still not sport the capabilities of the FZ20 :sad:.

Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:42 AM   #4

I do not find any mention of time lapse in the FZ20 manual either.
I wonder if it was some Panasonic released 'marketing information' that was copied but never really checked out in Steve's review of the camera? Why it would be in Panasonic marketing release information is anybody's guess. One could think up a number of possibilities.

Or - Where the word 'timelapse' appears (twice) in the review, I do not see mention of "flip animation". Perhaps"flip animation" 'translates' to "timelapse".

Could be way-off-base here but just some thoughts, thinking out loud. :? :?
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:05 AM   #5

I'm inclined to agree with you.
Maybe someone really equates "flip animation" with timelapse photography...:-)
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:34 PM   #6

Hello.
An interesting program called Image Stacker by TAWBAWARE
might do the job what you are looking for.

go check it out at

http://www.tawbaware.com/imgstack.htm

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:04 PM   #7

seppop wrote:
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with you.
Maybe someone really equates "flip animation" with timelapse photography...:-)
:?I hate to sound really dumb (actually, I don't mind at all), but isn't the flip animation mode similar the old fashioned way of timelapse photography? I may be way wrong, but didn't timelapse photography used to be done manually?

Linda

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:06 PM   #8

Heh, the idea behind timelapse in today's terms is usually equated to the fact that you can leave a camera pointing at a subjet and let it take a photo every given amount of time.

A very popular use of this feature is photographing flowers opening over several hours. Set up the camera focused on the closed flower. Set timelapse to take a photo every 60 seconds. In 2 hours you go back to the camera and you have 120 photos which can be compiled into a short film clip showing the flower open.

The old fashioned flip animation/timelapse did involve manually triggering the camera, but even 40 years ago they already had motorised shutter-triggers that could take a photo every minute or so without anyone actually having to attend.

Judging by Panasonic's user manual, flip animation only allows you to compile a bunch of photos you have "already" taken manually into a short clip.

Never mind, I believe there is a device that will replace the remote-shutter that can trigger the camera given a certain interval. Would have been nice if the FZ20 had it built in.

Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:25 AM   #9

Hmm. Interesting.
Could you elaborate a bit? I might be interested as well.

-- sp
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:46 AM   #10

This camera does not have it. The interesting thing is, the original web specs for the FZ10 listed the unit had Time Lapse,but when you carefully read the manual it turned out that Burst Mode is what they were actually referring to.

Just like what most people would call an adpater ring, they called a hood. It was just a language/terminologydifference...

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote