Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:44 AM   #1

This problem has only come up since using the FZ20, my old crappo HP gave me no problems at all.
I use the software that came with the camera to access the images on the card (use a card reader if it makes a difference) and copy the images to a folder within My Pictures.
When I attempt to burn the images to CD I get error messages stating that the burn failed. (used both Nero and Prassi Primo Plus)
After ruining 20 gijillion cd's and many experiments I found that if I removed the 'thumbs db' file from each image folder the burn could finish.

What is this 'thumbs db' file? Am I deleting something necessary?
Am I saving the images to my computer in an incorrect manner? Is there a different way I should be using the software to save my images to my PC? I just do a 'select all' and then choose the copy option.
Has this happened to anyone?
alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:55 AM   #2

I could be way wrong here but I believe the thumbs lets Windows open photos and set them up like a slide show in the Windows picture viewer thingy. You can delete it from each folder and the next time you view the pictures in that folder it will reappear, Windows rewrites it I guess. If you go to my pictures and open a specific folderyou should have a prompt on the left side of the screen to write to CD, uh. . .maybe only if using Windows XP.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:55 AM   #3

PS- Don't have the software's manual. My 7 month old got ahold of it and mangled it useless.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:58 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I don't run XP at this time. Currently on ME which I blame for many problems. I blew the computer budget on the camera and accessories so it will be a bit before I can afford XP.
So- okay- I guess the thumbs db isn't a big deal then? Shew!

Am I moving the images from the card to the computer in the correct manner? What does everyone else do to copy the images to the PC?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:51 AM   #5

I am running Windows ME and using Easy CD Creator 4 as my burning sofware. I have no problem burning cds with or without Thumbs.db files present.The Thumbs.db files are consideredsystem files by your computer. It's possible that Nero and Prassi Primo Plus may not burn system files. There may be an option to instruct the burning software to go ahead and burn system files or perhaps ignore them. You might look for that.
Thumbs.db files are created when you view files through Windows Explorer with the View option set to Thumbnails. This creates small thumbnail imagesfor each image file in a given folder and stores the data in a Thumbs.db filein thatfolder. If you choose Details (or anything other than Thumbnails) after pressing the View button at the top of your Windows Explorer screen, Thumbs.db files will NOT be created. It is certainly true that you can delete Thumbs.db files if they are created. Your computer will suggest that you not do that since they are system files but they are certainly expendable system files.
Fred

PS: "I use the software that came with the camera to access the images on the card ." That may also be creating a Thumbs.db file.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:57 AM   #6

I do not understand why Nero does not ask if you really want to burn the thumbs file.

That is what it always did for me.

You could alway delete the file in the nero browse window before burning or select all the other files but the thumbs file.

I do not think it has anything to do with the way you transfer them to the computer.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:06 PM   #7

Thanks to all for clearing up my confusion.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:27 AM   #8

I use a card reader , it's much much faster and easier too, plugs into USB..

They are fairly reasonable to get now, I got an 8 in 1 San Disk reader at Wal Mart for $27.00, but if you want one that only reads your kind of disk, they are cheaper to be found than that...

I think you would have a much better burn time using Nero or a newer version of Roxio CD Creator, 4, 5 and 6 were buggy, 7 got rave reviews but is pretty expensive.

Nero is much cheaper and much easier to use...

Linda:|
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote