Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 23, 2004, 4:49 PM   #1

I've noticed that when I take pictures with large patches of green (grass) in them I get pictures resulting inan unnatural saturatedgreen color.

Settings are all on default.

Example:

http://www.pbase.com/mirdin/image/35394153

I know this camera isn't supposed to be point and shoot, but am I really expecting too much when I expect to have natural looking green grass on my pictures when I'm using default settings?

Apart from this issue I'm satisfied with the camera although I sometimes feel images are not always that sharp/focused compared to my previous camera (Olympus Z2020). I guess I still have a lot to learn

mirdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:05 PM   #2

Yecch. That ain't right. Send it back.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:23 PM   #3

I might do that, but before I do I would really like to see some pictures with lots of grass from other FZ20 owners.

I must admit this picture is one of the worse examples of my green grass issue.
It does appear todepend on the camera direction relative of the sun it seems.

For example, the grass on the following picture is also very green (unnatural) but not quite as bad as the first one I posted (IMO)

http://www.pbase.com/mirdin/image/35403337

All in all I'm still in doubt whether it is a camera defect...that's why I hope some more people can post their 'grass' pics

mirdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 7:18 PM   #4

Heres one at 12x zoom. Is this more of what it should be?

bobc

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:22 PM   #5

I am experiencing the same problem as you'll see from the following:

http://au.msnusers.com/8mu64efomp9b4...%201%20007.jpg
NormBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:30 PM   #6

I have noticed a slight tendancy for my new FZ20 to over-saturate green under some shooting conditions (particularly on cloudy days), but it has not worried me so far...

Of more concern for me is a possible defective pixel on the sensor - I've noticed that I get a small red dot in one spot of the frame if that area has low brightness. High saturation in that area is OK - but when it should be dark the pixel misfires as red quite often (see attached pic)...

I hope I don't have to send the camera back - I've only just got it after a long wait and I am very hapy with its overall features and performance (though some shooting conditions do lead to more noise than I would expect from a camera of this quality)...
Attached Images

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:42 PM   #7

Regarding the green issue - here are a couple of pics,

the upper one where the camera made it 'greener' than the grass really was on the day,
and the lower one where the green reproduction was exactly as it was to the eye...
Attached Images

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:58 PM   #8

Ya, the greens are pretty funky- noticed that in the past. These were taken today (seasonably warm fall day in St. Louis- so no, my baby isn't chilly!) I usually adjust in Photoshop. Unedited, except saving for web and resized. Overcast day.

Attached Images

alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:29 PM   #9

I am confused (which is'nt hard to do). But what is the problem that we are talking about here?

Is it the monitor that is not matching the greens?

If you look at the picture in the camera, do they match or not match?

Do they match or not match on printed images?

Looking at these pictures and not knowing exactly what color the grass is, they look fine to me. I am far from an expert though.

Could someone be more specific with what the problem is?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:43 PM   #10

The problem- in my understanding- is the green being oversaturated at times. The colors aren't true to real life- maybe Alice in Wonderland- but not around here.
Speaking for myself...
It wouldn't be my monitor's fault- my monitor has been calibrated by my photo lab.
Yes- match on printed images with images straight from camera- unfortunately.

I believe the complaint is that the camera's greens may not be properly calibrated. The camera's LCD screen does not match the real life greens at times (more often than not).

This isn't a huge deal to me as I usually finish my photos in Photoshop. I feel that digital photography often needs more post processing than film- so... no concern on my part. I love using Photoshop anyhow.

Yes Bobc, I agree, the pictures do look fine. Speaking as a perfectionist however, 'fine' is never enough.

*edited to add*:
I don't think this is a major shortcoming or that the FZ20 has any major shortcomings- so you staunch defenders of the camera don't hop on me! Every cam has it's quirks- which is why I appreciate boards such as these- figuring out what the quirks are and ways to fix or work around them. I love my FZ!
alethea is offline   Reply With Quote