Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2004, 1:32 PM   #1

Hi everybody. I just recently purchased a FZ10 and noticed that the file sizes it produces are about 850-1200 kb on the average. I thought that it would produce bigger files if its a 4 megapixel camera. On occasion a file may be 1500 to 1700 kb.

Setting is on "Fine" and biggest file size "2304".

I also tried different settings in the "picture adjustment" and nothing happened to the file size. I know that the more focused a shoot is the bigger the file but thats not the case here either.

Thanks guys, its driving me nuts :?
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:30 PM   #2

FZ10 uses (too)heavy Jpeg compression and that explains the small file size,
heavy compression means more jpeg artifacts and thus reduced image quality.
This issue could be corrected by new firmware but panasonic is not eager to do so.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 5:11 PM   #3

Are you telling me I should expect the file size to be only 100 too 300 kb more than my FZ1. This is hard to believe!!
I thought I was going to get something areound 2000 kb.

I hope other FZ10 owners share how big their jpegs are with me.

Old Oct 24, 2004, 5:40 PM   #4

Hi Reza,

Since I sold you the camera, I can tell you that the size of the file varies quite a bit, depending on subject matter. Subjects with a lot of detail and color tend to be around 1500kb in the biggest size. Subjects that are fairly plain (not too many colors, not much detail, etc.) will be much smaller in file size.

I would suggest you take a picture of a blank wall to see if you get a really small file size. Then, take a picture of something with lots of colors and detail to see how the size of the file increases.

Most of my shots with your camera tended to be on the "busy" side. As I look back at them, the average is probably around 1300kb file size.

Hope this helps.

Jim
JimBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 5:45 PM   #5

Hi again, Reza,

:idea:It just dawned on me what your problem is. The "image" size in the camera menu refers to the widest dimension of the image in pixels, not the size of the file. 1728x2304 is the standard "Large" size for the FZ10. The actual "file" size will vary depending on subject matter.

Jim
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:04 PM   #6

I just thought that if a camera has twice the megapixels (from 2 megapixel to 4 megapixel), and it records the same picture it would have twice file size.
I just took an identicle picture with my FZ1v2 and my FZ10 and the difference was only around 50 kb. 940kb FZ1 and 1020kb for FZ10. Can somebody explain this to me? I think nicktrop would be good at this.

Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:45 PM   #7

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
I also tried different settings in the "picture adjustment" and nothing happened to the file size. I know that the more focused a shoot is the bigger the file but thats not the case here either.
I didn't know that... why is it?

About the file size, my files with the FZ10 in 2304 x 1728, at the lowest compression = biggest file size (I just don't remember if that's called "fine" or not) can be as big as 1.713 kb.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:51 PM   #8

well I took another two pics outdoors instead of in my light box and thats where I saw the difference. I thought that if I take shots in a controlled environment I might get an accurate assesment, but outdoors is where the big difference was.

FZ1 was at 896 kb and FZ10 was at 1653 kb.

It was just wierd to me that a different (lightbox) controlled environment will produce almost identicle file sizes.

I thought no matter what that the FZ10 would produce twice the file size but I guess I was wrong.

:angry:
Old Oct 24, 2004, 9:09 PM   #9

The JPEG algorythm is not linear. There would be no reason to assume that the stored jpeg file is going to be proportional to the size, in megapixels, of the image. If you had a 12 megapixel camera, and took the identical shot as you did with your FZ10; using your logic, you would expect the file to be 3 times as big. This would only occur in RAW or TIFF mode, I think. In JPEG mode, the camera is going to make every effort to minimize the size of the file. Using my logic,perhaps flawed, the increase in stored jpeg file size willNOT be proportional to the number of megapixels.

Here's another experiment you can try: Set your camera on a tripod and shoot the same subject at all the different resolutions offered by the camera. Then, see if the file size is proportional to the resolution. I'm betting the file size will increase at a slower rate because of the jpeg algorythm, whose whole purpose is to minimize file size.

You can even take shots with the FZ10 at the same resolution as the FZ1. Are they the same size? Note that the JPEG algorythm is constantly improving. Perhaps, on newer cameras, the files will be smaller than expected because of a better algorythm on the newer camera, something to think about.