Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:20 AM   #11

Don't let comments throw ya Bob.If we take take drops falling or bullets or something just as crazy, set the flash units to 1/16,000 - 1/128,000th of a second, the camera shutter can be on just 1 secondin a dark room, its the fast flash duration that takes the shot, not the shutter in the camera.

I tend to lurk Bob.....on purpose. Some comments can seem harsh but generally most don't mean the way it sounds sometimes. We all learn everyday, at least I hope we all do.

All the best Bob, don't let it knock yamate.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:25 AM   #12

My first response was to your camera settings. They seemed so incongruouswith reality. I followed this up with the flash comment, once I realized you had taken your pictures with flash.

This discussion on shutter speedsis all about natural light photography. Anything you shoot with flash will default to ISO 100 and 1/60 second, with a fixedf/stop. The strobe, which emits light for about 1/1000 a second or so, determines exposure, as well as stopping action. The flash will override all camera shutter speed and f/stop settings, if I'm not mistaken.

Try your little experiment during the day under natural light without flash and see what you come up with. Iwould loveto see a properly exposed non-flash picture at 1/2000. I'll be really impressed if the ISO is at something less than 400. In fact, I hope to try the same experiment myself if it will stop raining here in Salt Lake.

No insults were intended.

Jim
JimBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:39 AM   #13

I will try this and see what I can come up with, now that I understand a little more. And thanks for the flash lesson.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:03 AM   #14

I personally like flash dancing.

1/1000:P1/2000
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:24 AM   #15

Hello fellas, I would like to chime in to this conversation. I took Photo I in college and I always remembered the "Sunny f16 rule". That rule is, on a sunny day, you set your camera to 1/your ISO and set your camera to f16. So this being the case, if you were stuck at f8 (which is one stop difference- or doubling/halfing your ISO speed) you would have f8 @ 1/2000 of a second with an ISO of 1000 (the sunny f16 rule would be 1/1000 @ f16 - then you would open up the aperture to f8 thereby letting more light in, so you have to let less light in w/shutter speed by doubling it 1/2000).

Let me try this with the ISO of 400. 1/400 of a second @ f16 (the sunny f16 rule-assuming our sunny day). At an aperture of f8 (which is what you say the camera defaults to) you would be at a shutter speed of 1/800 or 1/1000 which is the closest camera shutter. I do believe on a sandy beach or a snowy day you do increase your light by about 1 stop. So that would probably be the only time you could use this shutter speed.

It is very late for me and my calculations could be off, but the sunny f16 rule is "the" rule, so you can do the math, yourselves, gentleman, and let me know if the old lady is on to something!

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:02 AM   #16

Hi,

You have the concept right (sunny f/16 rule), but your math slipped slightly, as you left out the f/stop of F11: 1/500 goes with F16, 1/1000 goes with F11, and 1/2000 would go with F8, assuming an ISO of 500, which is close enough to 400 for discussion purposes. A bright sandy beach or sunny snow scene would be overexposed by an f/stop if you tried to use the ISO 400 setting on this particular camera, as you would need 1/4000 second exposureto work with the smallest available f/stop ofF8!

To me, this camera's fastest practical shutter speed is still 1/1000. Higher advertised shutter speeds are either a marketing tool, or some unexplained anomoly of the way the ccd and/or lens has to work.

:??
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:48 AM   #17

I think both of your math's are slipping... The FZ20 does not have f/16...:?

Just kidding...
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:55 AM   #18

1 divided by the square root of the ISO setting to the 10th power of the aperture minus the square root of the distance from the sun to the camera times the distance from the sun to the subject divided by the f/16 rule devided by 2 if it's an FZ20 minus the distance from the camera to the subject...

equals...

Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:50 PM   #19

As long as you're posting hawk photos, here's a first year Sharp-shinned Hawk, a close cousin of the Cooper's hawk:
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:11 PM   #20

That is a great photo. I hope to get shots like that some day.

I was just kidding about the equsion stuff. I know it's a science. I am a Software Developer and sometimes joke at myself like that too.

It keeps me sain.

Was that shot taken with an FZ20?