Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:32 PM   #11

I can almost garentee that if you look closely at the pictures that are out of focus, that somewhere in those pictures that there is something that is in focus. The camera chose to focus on something other than what you wanted it to. Sometimes you may need to re-focus several times and move the camera slightly to get it to focus on what you want, then re-center before taking the shot. This happens more in low lighting and at the higher zoom range, as well as how many possible things the lense can find to focus on.

It just takes a little practice and getting use to.

You can also get different results by trying different metering and af mode combinations.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:46 PM   #12

I believe that Digigal nailed it. I set my FZ20 on my desk, at full wide angle, and slid it back and forth until the focus was able to lock (I was amazed how close that was!). I zoomed to 2X and had to move back a bit to have it be able to focus. Ditto for 3x. Switching to macro mode did not seem to affect the minimum focus difference.

Now I understand why I was having problems getting focus on some macro shots last week!

Dave
dprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 6:42 AM   #13

Digigal wrote:
Quote:
Another thing to remember is that in P mode (and if I remember correctly, the scene modes too) the minimum focus distance at shorter zoom settings (i.e. 1x-4x zoom, where it *can* get a lot closer) isn't really available - it's purposely locked out, presumably to speed up the focus response in typical "social" shooting situations (a lot more fine-focusing takes place with any lens in the close focus region - a small change in distance or focus setting makes a bigger difference there).
I had a quick 3 minute play with the FZ20 today & it was set on P mode & yes I did notice this. I had the zoom wound up & it simply would not focus on some closer subjects. I was suspecting that the camera should have been better behaved, but you explaination here seems to clarify the issue of 'speed' as opposed to 'focus at any cost', especially in the P mode.
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:17 AM   #14

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
Digigal wrote:
Quote:
Another thing to remember is that in P mode (and if I remember correctly, the scene modes too) the minimum focus distance at shorter zoom settings (i.e. 1x-4x zoom, where it *can* get a lot closer) isn't really available - it's purposely locked out, presumably to speed up the focus response in typical "social" shooting situations (a lot more fine-focusing takes place with any lens in the close focus region - a small change in distance or focus setting makes a bigger difference there).
I had a quick 3 minute play with the FZ20 today & it was set on P mode & yes I did notice this. I had the zoom wound up & it simply would not focus on some closer subjects. I was suspecting that the camera should have been better behaved, but you explaination here seems to clarify the issue of 'speed' as opposed to 'focus at any cost', especially in the P mode.
Mind you, I should probably reiterate here that, once you're past about 4x zoom, the minimum focusing distance is the same, whether you're in P or not, because the optics simply aren't capable of focusinginto the range where the differences are designed into the modes.
Digigal is offline   Reply With Quote