Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:00 PM   #31

Best thing for cleaning lenses - a good, CLEAN microfiber cloth and just a bit of condensation (breathe on the lens surface lightly) if needed. All the other solutions and stuff can leave some residue (hence the streaks on the surface of your lens). And paper-based wipes are seriously NOT good for the lens surface. Think of it as lots of tiny wood chips (that's what paper is made of) scouring the surface of your lens.

As for UV filters and other protective devices - I don't use 'em on my film cameras, why would I on my digital? Every additional glass/air interface (and the filter adds 2!) is yet another opportnity for flare and the resulting loss in contrast and saturation. And with my film cameras, I'm talking about a Hassy, a Leica and a 4x5. The only filters I put over those lenses is what I need to get the shot I want - IR, red or yellow to get the sky to darken, grad ND to equalize sky and landscape, etc.

Just keep the lens covered and protected when not in use. Keep it clean. And keep light (direct light, as in sunlight or your light source if studio lighting or strobes) off the front surface when shooting.
pointnshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:04 PM   #32

LOL Moncho it's normal as far as I'm concerned.... I lost track of how many pictures I'd taken after I'd gone over 1,000 for the ninth time and that's justsince I bought my FZ10 last December.

Thank you for the compliment on my picture. I liked your pictures very much too, I enjoy seeing the different places people live.
Bird Lady of Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:06 PM   #33

Thanks for the info Red Parrot..... do you by any chance have a parrot? I have an African Grey and three cockatiels.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:11 PM   #34

Pointnshoot thank you so much for bringing up the wood fibers in paper. I've always been told never to use any kind of paper product on my glasses for that reason but I was somewhat hesitant to bring it up.

Do I by any chance know you from OLP?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:09 AM   #35

Bird Lady of Hudson wrote:
Quote:
Pointnshoot thank you so much for bringing up the wood fibers in paper. I've always been told never to use any kind of paper product on my glasses for that reason but I was somewhat hesitant to bring it up.

Do I by any chance know you from OLP?
OLP? Sorry - don't know that organization. I'm out in CA.

Re: wood fibers in paper - that advice also turns up a LOT on the AV forums talking about care and feeding of plasma screens. It's worthwhile noting that the coating on lenses is a bit more fragile than uncoated glass.
pointnshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:48 AM   #36

Pointnshoot OLP is short for Onlinephotographers, there is a Pointnshoot who posts there and I thought you were one and the same.