Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:00 PM   #1

My lens is filthy and the last time I cleaned it I used a lens cleaner that came with one of our cameras but it left iridescent smear marks on it and I'm worried it might have taken some kind of protective coating off the lens..... if it has one.

Is vinegar and water safe to use? Is there something else I would have in the house that is safe?

Bird Lady of Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 4:12 PM   #2

Whooa...BAD :idea: No dont use anything, take it to a camera shop, get it looked at thenbuy a UV filter at same time to protect the lens ask them to fit it and buy a cleaning cloth ok.. only for the filter..

good luck ! hopelens is not damaged..

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 4:56 PM   #3

Go and get something decent stuff for cleaning your lens instead of using water and vinegar :?:

I use a lens pen for most situation. The pen has a retractable brush at one end and a cleaning head at the other end. Brush the dust off with the brush and clean the lens with the special cleaning head. The pen does not leave any smear/mark after cleaning those greasy fingerprint or water marks. Actually it takes me less than 20s to clean the lens, really handy when taking pictures outdoor. The lens pen also works well on any filters.
akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:23 PM   #4

You can also get a lens cleaning kit at any local camera shop.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:43 AM   #5

I use a brillo pad. (kidding). If it's really that bad, take it to a camera shop. Hope it's okay. And good advice from Jayde. I picked up a 3 set of used Tiffen filters on eBay for $10: a polarizer, skylight, and ND set. The ND filter stays on the lense, like a wedding ring, never to come off (even in a single's bar). I second all of Jayde's advice.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:44 AM   #6

hey nick :-)

the camera police are gonna prosecute herfor camera abuse haha..

seen thislatestoffer.. ITS GREAT..

FOR A NEW MONITOR TAP HERE >> X <<MUCH MUCHHARDER OK..

she dint reply maybe she had a crash landing !

solly im bad.. :?

Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:11 AM   #7

The guys at the camera stores recommended wire wool.. for those really stubborn stains !

Seriously, the Nikon and Leica stores here just said to use a high quality lens cloth and nothing else.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:10 PM   #8

HarjTT

LOL M8 ! :G

poor woman.. solly !
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:35 PM   #9

I see we have a bunch of comics on here. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner I was busy chucking up a brillo pad soaked in kerosene on hubby's drill press to polish my lens with....did you know there are other lenses behind the first one??? :-)

I never used the vinegar and water, I was just asking if anyone knew if it was safe. Previously I used the lens cleaning kit that came with my Fuji and that was what got me in trouble in the first place. I am very careful withthe lens and I keep it protected but it needed cleaning mainly because of the marks left by the lens cleaner.I wanted to get it clean before I put my new UV filter on itthat I received for my birthday.

Thanks for the replies.... I think. LOL
Bird Lady of Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:55 PM   #10

hiya..we truly trying to help.. sorry jus guys u know...

but if you say..

"it needed cleaning mainly because of the marks left by the lens cleaner"

great eh !

use somthin ultra soft like your glasses cloth, if youwear them.. or go the shop let them do it.. fit filter, but dont use that other cleaner no more... then buy another cloth/kit .. glad you have the UV now.. good luck .. happy landings,i mmean birthday ooops!:-)

http://www.jwcl13731.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/JW/BF1.gif

happy b/day ... !