Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:23 PM   #21

jazzisit wrote:
Quote:
(I figured out how to create the box). I think this is what really confuses me. Because when I download pictures from the fz20, in photoshop it is listed as 72 ppi. Download pics from my old canon G3, it's 180 ppi. Downloaded pics from a friend's Nikon D70 (my dream camera), it's 300 ppi. I don't change anything in photoshop so that's why I was wondering if it was the image resolution from the camera itself that was dictating the ppi numbers in photoshop.
ppi does not matter in this case. What ever the size you select in your camera for example 2560 x 1920 for a 5MP image, that is the size of the image in pixels. You can set the ppi to whatever you want, but unless you resample or crop, your image will allways remain 2560 x 1920 in reality.

Does this make more sense?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:25 PM   #22

No! A liquid lens, huh? The marvels our kids will see. Nano technology, liquid lenses, amazing stuff!

Happy Halloween,

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:29 PM   #23

u2 Nick.

bobc
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:34 PM   #24

Well....I myself had a great time reading all o this! This little exchange is something I tagged in my favorites so I can snap it back and re read it. I am in the middle of an internal wrestling match with myself trying to decide what to buy for my next camera. My likes and wants have led me to the Canon 20D, the Nikon Cp 8800, and last the Panasonic Z20. I have had a hands on test with the Canon 20D. I love that it's fast, has a great zoom (10X with the lense I used, and would want to buy with it.) My current camera is a Minolta Dimage 7i...7X zoom, 5MP. To me there are no extra, or throw away pixels. I crop, then I crop, and after that I often wish I could crop some more. What do I get for all my cropping? Sometimes I get a good picture, sometimes just a poor picture with a lotta noise. But I have come to the realization that maybe more MP's to start with, and/or a bigger zoom with a lense stabilizer can help me a whole lot! I like P'sonic's fast lense and huge zoom. And the lense stabilizer is a must. I just wish it were 8MP's. Can't have everything. No, you can't....sigh. So, when I stumbled on this mighty... verbal intercourse, I clapped my hands and knew that even if I could NOT have everything...at least now I know in no uncertain terms....WHY! My hat is off to you gentlemen, if we ever cross paths here in the frozen north, I will certainly buy each of you...a beer. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:34 PM   #25

BobC (and NickTrop can chip in), after all this discussion nailing down the fact that we can only see 72 dpi images on our monitors...
1. Why do you want samples posted?
2. Would I be able to see noise in your night shot if I printed it at 300 dpi?
3. Do the reviewed camera pictures posted by the three major reviewers on the internet make sense since we're only looking at the limited information the monitor can provide?
Thanks.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:07 PM   #26

Strat wrote:
Quote:
BobC (and NickTrop can chip in), after all this discussion nailing down the fact that we can only see 72 dpi images on our monitors...
1. Why do you want samples posted?
2. Would I be able to see noise in your night shot if I printed it at 300 dpi?
3. Do the reviewed camera pictures posted by the three major reviewers on the internet make sense since we're only looking at the limited information the monitor can provide?
Thanks.
Here is a 100% crop of the same night shot. You can clearly see the noise. If you printed the full image you would not see the noise because the image size at 100% is larger than most prints, but if you printed it at a very large size you may see the noise, or if you cropped it down quite a bit.

Does this help?

bobc

Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:11 PM   #27

Make that a Moosehead draft, KENNETHD, and I might brave the cold and show up at your door.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:43 AM   #28

KennethD,

I'll show up too. I'll bring a case of beer and my FZ20. Nick can bring his FZ1, and we'll all get drunk, and take pictures of eachother taking pictures of eachother.

bobc