Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:12 PM   #1

Finally a review of the FZ-15..Yeah.
A couple of items were noted by people on the dpreview forum that I thought should be raised here. Probably from cutting and pasting the FZ-20 info. They are very similar cameras.

- 1st page: FZ15 shoots movies WITH sound. (Owner say NOT). It is correct in the conclusion section.
- FZ15 zoom range 35-420mm ?
- Picture shows FZ-15 with remote connector. Again, owners say its really missing.

Thats all they noted. Some seem to think the pictures of the FZ15 are better than the FZ20 . Too late for me <sigh>.

Thanks for the review.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:15 PM   #2

I put crops from Steve's FZ15 samples next to crops from the FZ20 samples and the FZ15, to my eye, looks like a lot less noise with little, if any, loss in resolution. I expected that but not so distinctly.

Did anyone else notice the "red fringe" in the telezoomed boat shots? It is there for both but you really have to zoom in to see it. Also, there isonlythe tiniest amount of CA on the edges of the image. Quite nice.

The FZ20 noise levels are almost as bad as that of my old old Canon G1. I'd like it to be a lot less. The FZ15 may be the better camera for me.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:27 PM   #3

I didn't expect much difference from the 1 MP. Because I could use an existing flash and a CC sale, the costs were the same for both camera's. Comparing the CA on the FZ10 and FZ15/20 the latter pair seem to have much less. Main point in starting the thread was to highlight that the review was up and to get clairity on a couple of issues which seem to confuse people (particularly the sound) since panasonic's site has or had simliar errors. Some people have to order blind. I like using bounce flash a lot, but I come from 35mm SLR slides, so I had to figure in attaching an external flash. BTW: using FZ15 w/slave flash appears to work quite well, but for me it would be an extra expense. I find these fora quite useful, and emailed CC to tell them that they need to continue/start supporting these sites. BTW[2]: the free camera case from Panasonic is useless, can't have any adapter on it so you can't have UV filter. Free battery is nice.

RE: noise. Eye of beholder I guess. I didn't see it in the building shot, which shot was it most noticable in?
Old Oct 29, 2004, 2:19 PM   #4

I see a moderate difference in the ISO400 shots but noticeably in the sky for all the standard low ISO daylight shots.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:25 AM   #5

Does the FZ15 actually provide better quality pictures then than the FZ20?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:04 PM   #6

The building photo shows the difference. Look to the black glass (window), and to the shadowed area under the balcony. The sky donĀ“t have too much noise.

FZ15:http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/P1010011.JPG

FZ20: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/p1010051.jpg
rbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:39 PM   #7

There is a slight difference in angle, focal length and exposure that makes it difficult to draw any firm conclusions from those two images. They both look pretty good to me.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:38 PM   #8

I am beginning to think the same thing that when it comes down to it, the differences, if any actually exist, are so minor that they are not even apparent.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:26 PM   #9

I think you are right. If I was forced to choose I'd say the FZ15 had smoother black glass but the palms look sharper on the FZ20. However, the different time and location could easily have more to do with it than the camera's.

If I were not in the US/Canada I wouldn't bemoan the fact that Panasonic decided not to release the FZ15. They added some features (sound, hot shoe). The 1 MP difference was probably because KM was coming out with a 4MP IS 12x camera and they wanted bragging rights. IMHO