Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1

Has anyone actually opted for the Z15 over the Z20?

Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:46 AM   #2

I will next week.

Almost all pictures I have seen produced by the FZ20 have more noise then picures from the FZ15.
Less noise is important to me because I want to use the pictures I take at 100% on screen as wel.
I've read noise will disappear when you print your pictures. I'd like to believe that, but it will still show a lot of noise on your screen.
So I will buy the FZ15, despite the lack of 1 megapixel, the lack of sound and lack of a hot-shoe.
The price diffence is about 125 Euro which is a lot. This amount will buy me extra memory (512 Kingmax 60x) and 2 batteries (not originals) :-)

I will post some pictures when I receive my FZ15.

Sander

Wijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:05 AM   #3

Can't believe the quality of the pictures is actually better with the Z15 compared to the Z20. Has anyone else noticed this?

I bought the Z20, but am wondering if it is worth exchanging for the Z15.

Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:48 PM   #4

Here is a night shot taken with my FZ20.

Manual mode, f2.8, 8 seconds, ISO 100, tripod, straight out of the camera, no post proccesing in Photo Shop, just resized.

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:50 PM   #5

Here is 100% crop of a portion of the same image.

Again... Straight out of the camera, No post proccessing in Photo Shop.

Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:34 PM   #6

Thanks Bobc, but I am interested in feedback on the topic here. I might suggest you create another topic to post pictures.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:14 PM   #7

slitman wrote:
Quote:
Can't believe the quality of the pictures is actually better with the Z15 compared to the Z20. Has anyone else noticed this?

I bought the Z20, but am wondering if it is worth exchanging for the Z15.

slitman,

This is why I posted these pics. Other people read this thread as well, and may be misconceved of your oppinion to be fact. I simply gave veiwers a sample to let them decide for themselves, rather than just state an oppinion with no sample to back it up with.

And yes. This is the topic here.

bobc
Old Oct 30, 2004, 4:07 PM   #8

Your pic es great Bob, but I notice noise levels a bit above average on your 100% crop shot wich I really dont like.
There's something that you can not deny.....FZ15 has cleaner images and that is basically because of the Iso 64.
Its easy to compare the recent sample photos that Steve has recently posted, the FZ20 is noisy mostly on blue skies but the venus engine II does a good work on dark zones. FZ15 shots are clean and sharp...very low noise levels.
Check out the imageresource.com review about the FZ15....
FZ15 has been considered as one of the "David's Pick"

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 4:50 PM   #9

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Your pic es great Bob, but I notice noise levels a bit above average on your 100% crop shot wich I really dont like.
There's something that you can not deny.....FZ15 has cleaner images and that is basically because of the Iso 64.
Its easy to compare the recent sample photos that Steve has recently posted, the FZ20 is noisy mostly on blue skies but the venus engine II does a good work on dark zones. FZ15 shots are clean and sharp...very low noise levels.
Check out the imageresource.com review about the FZ15....
FZ15 has been considered as one of the "David's Pick"

I would like to see someone post a 100% cropped night shot with the same settings and at ISO 100 with the FZ15. Then we can see the difference.

bobc
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:45 PM   #10

Bobc, thanks for the pics, but as we all know, there are so many variations depending on settings, etc.

I have reading a number of forums and reviews and these cameras and the tendency is to go with the Z15 for better quality and sharper pictures.

I am looking for individuals who have compared the two directly or can actually provide some direct insight, not simply posting pictures with one camera or the other as prints and monitor displays can differ greatly.

Thanks again for your help, but I prefer to try to avoid simply having pictures posted under this topic and the comparisons in that matter are not what I am looking for.