Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:37 PM   #1

FZ20, 12x

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:45 PM   #2

Wow! Nice clear shot. I tried myself the night of the lunar eclipse. I got so so results. I was shooting with my new FZ20 at 48X with the OIS turned off, on a small backpackers tripod sitting on the bed rail of my truck. I think your shot is much clearer. How much cropping did you do because the size of your moon is close to what I was getting at full zoom? Here is a comparison pic of my moon shot at 48X full total eclipse.

I have been dabbling around with astrophotography for about 30 years off and on and I know that it is extreamly hard to get good, clear, well exposed shots of the moon. Again, nice job.

Smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:40 PM   #3

great shot bob! great clarity!

is that just resized? or cropped too? i'd like to see a close crop posted at same size as the first picture...

looks like it's got great details!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:29 PM   #4

Nice shot Bob !

Lots of detail and sharp.

I've tried a couple of times myslef and have had the same kind of results as smac.

Here's my first attempt just 12x and cropped in PSHOP. This one seems ok but is a little soft.

Harj
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:34 PM   #5

And here's the full moon from a few days back. Not as good as the first attempt as its a wee bit soft but I did use 36X digital zoom this time.

Harj

PS.

pics just cropped in PShop and nothing else.
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:47 PM   #6

Harj, Nice job. The first photo really shows the craters. I have always loved the partial moon shots. They show the craters and mountains and really give you the feeling of depth that just isn't there in a full moon.

Now I have to go back out tonight and try a few variations to see if I can't shoot something worthy of posting next to the other great shots. I think 48X zoom is out. We'll see if I have any success tomorrow.

Nice job, both of you.

Smac
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:04 PM   #7

Here is one at 48x.

f8.0, 1/100 second, ISO 100, All image settings high, tripod, used 2 second timer to prevent shake, IS mode off.

Image just resized.

Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:12 PM   #8

Harj,

Nice shots. To get rid of the red at the edge, I find that a higher aperture setting works better. Then I keep tweeking the shutter speed and viewing each image, zooming in to see the edges. Once I get the red out I take shots at 12x and 48x and check each shot.

Sometimes the moon is brighter than others, so the same settings don't allways work. You just have to keep tweeking and checking. Also use the 2 second timer and turn IS off (if you are using a tripod). To get the sharpest pictures, use a tripod. You may also want to set the sharpness to high as well.

Thank you all for your posts.

bobc
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:18 PM   #9

smac,

I tried that night too, I got some fairly clear shots at first, but when the blood moon phase hit (as in your pic) I could not get a sharp image iether. I think it is space debree that causes the red color as well as makes it unlikely to get a sharp image. So your shot is good under those conditions.

Thanks for your post.

bobc
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:26 PM   #10

Thanks Bob, Now I have a good starting place. Half the fun is trying new things. Back in the day, when I was shooting 35mm through a telescope I would burn up 2-3 rolls of 36 exposure B&W trying to bracket the moon for that one perfect shot.
Gotta love Digital, I can burn through just as many shots and it only cost me my time and a few cents in battery charging. Man, I love this stuff.