Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:29 AM   #1

I have been looking at ultra zoom cameras for a month or so now and was all set to buy the FZ20. I'm not too thrilled with the physical size of it though.

A friend has suggested that the FZ20 may be a bit of overkill for what I am needing. I thought I would pose the question to those on this forum.

I am not a good photographer by any stretch of the imagination. Ease of use would therefore be important to me. I would mainly be using the auto mode. The manual features would be fine to grow into but everything would probably be on auto in the beginning. I am drawn to the ultra zooms because my son plays football and it would be great to get some decent shots of him from the stands. I would like to take both indoor and outdoor shots. The indoor shots would mainly be family gatherings, holidays, etc. I would mainly look at the photos on the computer or burn them to a disk to play in a DVD player. As far as printing, 8x10 is the largest size I can see myself using. This will be my one and only digital camera.

If the FZ3 will suit my needs then I will save the $$$ and go for that. Any ideas?

Treasuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:56 AM   #2

Treasuredude wrote:
Quote:
If the FZ3 will suit my needs then I will save the $$$ and go for that. Any ideas?
Consider the fz1 and save even more $$$. $179 at http://www.viking.com/txtSearchDD.do...p;x=9&y=12 The fz1 will give you excellent 8x10 prints. The main differences vs the fz3 other than $$ is 2mp vs 3mp (more crop option with fz3) andauto focus assist lamp and stronger flash with fz3 for better indoor performance.
Fred

PS: Use code QJH-PRD15 and get $15 off $150 order. End result $164! Fantastic deal.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3

You can't beat the Z-1 with a stick at this price. It's the best bargain out there. I agree with fmoore, 100%. Here's a nice article about the FZ-1:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/030807.htm
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:42 PM   #4

too many better faster features on the FZ3 to deny it a look..

go try hands on :-)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:26 PM   #5

I am not going to try and sell you an FZ20. I would suggest going to Panasonics site. They have a place where you can do a comparison on all the Limix line. Look closely and compare each feature. There are several differences.

What ever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong with a Lumix.

Happy Hunting...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:39 PM   #6

Hi,

I have just got an FZ-3, and I think it will be exellent camera for you. What I understand from your post is that you don't really need more than 3 Mp or manual focus. FZ-3 comes very close to FZ-20, but is cheaper and VERY small. It is nice to carry around. I don't think FZ-20 would give you any better results, you should be a pro to get advantage from the differences.

-Antti
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 4:42 PM   #7

FZ1 or FZ3 both are great cameras.
I just wanna say something you should do to take sport shots.
Maybe Auto mode wont help you too much.
If you buy the FZ3 you should play with the "S" mode and set fast speeds (1/600......1/1000)to freeze the action or else you could get blurred shots.
The FZ1 firmware update also let you set shutter speed and aperture manually.
Thats all.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:28 PM   #8

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
FZ1 or FZ3 both are great cameras.
I just wanna say something you should do to take sport shots.
Maybe Auto mode wont help you too much.
If you buy the FZ3 you should play with the "S" mode and set fast speeds (1/600......1/1000)to freeze the action or else you could get blurred shots.
The FZ1 firmware update also let you set shutter speed and aperture manually.
Thats all.

I believe the FZ3 has a sports mode as well. I don't know about the FZ1. You may want to ask NickTrop about that.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:41 PM   #9

Quote:
I believe the FZ3 has a sports mode as well. I don't know about the FZ1. You may want to ask NickTrop about that.

bobc
Yeah....and Im pretty sure that NickTrop is capable of typing a "theory" about his FZ1 sport mode.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:58 PM   #10

I would say the FZ-3, since it seems to me from you post that your mind is pretty much made up, and you're more looking for affirmation of your opinion than advice. If you went with the FZ-1 it would nag at you, though that cam would probably suit your needs just as well and cost less.

As far as my "sports mode" theory goes, the only sport I follow is extreme midget professional wrestling. Difficult shooting. Small subjects, low lit arenas, fast action...plus I get the cheap seats way in the back of the high school gym. It's a real test of your photographic skills that transcend any particular setting. Plus, I drink a lot of cheap whiskey at these events, which makes focusing a challenge.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote