Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:47 PM   #1

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their help in helping me choose the FZ-20. There are a number of reasons I chose it even though there are some dissenters to it being the best choice on the board. I thought it might be useful for someone faced with the same choices to understand my reasoning.

1. The Noise Issue. The noise issue held me back for a little while. Frankly, noise seems to be an issue at high ISO settings and long focal lengths. However, the professional reviewers have highlighted some issues, none of the Panasonic ultra zooms were pointed out as being better or worse with respect to noise. I have seen many pictures on various posts that, to my eyes,do not present a problem with noise where others, perhaps more discriminating than I see something. I realized that I am not as critical or as much an enthusiaist as many on the boards although I do want quality images to be the end result.

2. Is the FZ20 a point and shoot. There is a forum (I think it may be on the Digital Photography Review site) discussing this where there is a suggestion is not a point and shoot. I was taken aback a little by the comments because I have over the last 20 - 25 years become a point and shooter photographer. But thinking about it, I realized that this is exactly the reason I want to get a Panasonic ultra zoom. I want to get back to taking pictures with controlled depth of field and/or shutter speed control and explore photo opportunities at times when I am not on vacation or family outings. And I do want the convenience of not having to lug around a set of lenses, etc. that I wouldn't have with a DSLR.

3. Price. Will I get back to using aseparate flash - I don't know. Will I perceive that 5 megapixels is better than 4 - I don't know. Probablywon't use the flash much. With the zoom probably won't be cropping as much. But I can afford it and with the Circuit City price ($539 and the ability to get an extra battery at no extra price)it isn't much more expensive that what the FZ15 is going for. I didn't want to go down to 3 megapixels or to Nick Trop's favourite, the FZ1 v2, - when enlarging to 8 x 11 which I do quite a lot, I do think there is some value to more megapixels.

So I haven't agreed with all of your views, but they all helped me in the decision. and the pictures told me that where issues are raised, they are not fundamental to the use of the camera in most situations but generally to some extreme settings. I don't get to pick it up until Friday - (it is a long story that I won't bore you with) but I am excited to renew my interest in photgraphy as a hobby and not merely a narrative of family gatherings and holiday times. Now my next challenge will await me soon. Not a Photoshop person yet. But I did buy Photoshop Elements and need to start myself on the road to learning how to do more than just the few tweaks I have been doing for a few years with other programs. Thanks for your help. I'll be back for more...
mslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:06 PM   #2

mslan,

Thank you for your post, and I hope you enjoy your FZ20 as much as I enjoy mine.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3

Good luck with your new cam! Happy shooting. PS Elements is a great program. Post some pics, please!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:11 AM   #4

Congrats of your purchase of the FZ20! I've had mine for about a week now and am loving it!!

About it not being a point and shoot camera- I was in on that discussion and had said that I felt this was not a point and shoot camera. Well, I am not 100 % sure that I can say that any longer, now that I have used the camera a little more. I think I was trying to do my own settings and using to many manual controls and adjustments before becoming truly familiar with them . I should have started out in P mode and waited until I learned a little more about the camera and about photography in general before taking that step. For the last few days I have been taking photos mostly in P mode and getting some nice shots. So my feeling at this point is that it can be usedas a point and shoot camera but when you feel you are ready to go manual and be more creative , it's happy to oblige!

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:53 AM   #5

mslan,

There are many places on the internet to learn how to use Photoshop, some of these techniques should apply to Elements (?).I have been using Photoshop for 10 years and stillcan learn something different everyday. Iparticularly like using adjustment layers, it leaves theoriginal picture intact.

Check out megapixel.net and lonestardigital.com.

Rookie
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:59 AM   #6

Rookie,

thanks for the info.
mslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 5:07 PM   #7

Well thought out post and great reading. Anyone after a camera should read this post. You have done your homework well and puchased well for what you want and need. Gotta love it. It took me two years of looking and waiting for another camera. I was using a Sony CD-1000 at the time. Just waiting for something to come along with similar specs butmore megapixels. Two years after waiting, along came the FZ10. After a allot of questions from dpreview wanting to see macro shots from it, I was sold. I could see what the glass was capable of and how good the zoom was.

Anyway congrats, excellent choice and it will serve you well for sure :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote