Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:20 AM   #1

Just thought I wouldshare this incase anyone did'nt allready know about it.

http://www.stp-gateway.de/Archiv/archiv912-e.html

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:27 AM   #2

The size of that camera the lens was in................or the guy holding it had big really big fingers.:G
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:37 AM   #3

Did they use the liquid lens to take the picture?
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4

Rookie wrote:
Quote:
Did they use the liquid lens to take the picture?
I dont know. But I think there is going to be some drastinc changes in digital photographyfairly soon.

bobc
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:13 AM   #5

Have you ever heard of the "Liquid Lunch"? Actually, neat technology but it will take a while before it makes its way into consumer technology. Are there advantages to it over glass either from a cost or capability standpoint? Otherwise, it just becomes a novelty. Cool article though.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:39 AM   #6

It seems that those liquid lenses are ment for miniature optics at least for now.
I doubt that the liquid lense would produce satisfactoty optical performance when the lens diameter is increased.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:43 AM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the "Liquid Lunch"? Actually, neat technology but it will take a while before it makes its way into consumer technology. Are there advantages to it over glass either from a cost or capability standpoint? Otherwise, it just becomes a novelty. Cool article though.
Nick,

From what I can see, the cost is low, and there are no mechanics to wear out. If they can get the quality right, I think this could be a giant step in digital cameras, coupled with the advancements they are makingwith CMOS sensors.

Who knows... We could see a pocket sized camera with a 20x optical (or should I say liquid) zoom, and a large CMOS sensor with no noise problems all the way up to ISO 3200+, and still have f2.xx throughout the range.

Or... As you say... It could become a novelty.

bobc
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:41 PM   #8

Actually - I think Olympus is putting a ceramic lens in one of their consumer models this year. Not sure what the advantages are, though.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:16 PM   #9

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Actually - I think Olympus is putting a ceramic lens in one of their consumer models this year. Not sure what the advantages are, though.
I think I read "higher refractive index" somewhere, and when I asked a "smart guy," he mentioned something about a crystalline structure, and being a solid as opposed to liquid.I hadn't previously considered glassto bea liquid.
http://www.jimloy.com/physics/glass.htm

I know Casio has a new, very small camera with a ceramic lens.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/ex-s100.html
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 5:05 PM   #10

Hi Sinister Purpose
Yes glass is indeed a liquid, believe it or not. I just is a very viscous liquid, in fact glass will only "flow" over the period of decades and even then by only small amounts.
Bob, as for the liquid lens, I wouldn't be selling the FZ20 just yet. I think it is a novelty and nothing more.
I am currently doing a PhD in Chemistry and know all about jazzing up results. I doubt if the optics will compare to glass, maybe in 10-20 years we may see a change but certainly not in the next few years. Although I do remember a lot of people saying that digital photography was never going to take off either! Maybe I should buy some shares in that company just to edge my bet!:lol:
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote