Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:58 PM   #1

Hi
I am looking at getting some close up lens. I know a few people have the Nikon 6T with some good results but its a little expensive. I have seen a Hoya 62 mm Close up set +1.2.4 for ~$95 AU (65 US) which seems to be a good buy. Has any one had any experience with Hoya close up lens?

Cheers

Simon
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:31 AM   #2

I've got a Hoya set as well, I used them on my Olympus E20 with good results, unfortunately I can't find any sample pics as I've archived them somewhere :roll:

I'm sure I got mine a couple of years ago from Ebay for about £15 (US$25) which was a good price as they're 72mm.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:52 AM   #3

If it was me and only IMHO, I would save a bit more and get the 6T. Twin element designs such as the Nikon 5T, 6T and the Canon 250D, 500D are excellent optics. Corner to corner sharpness is better and far less chromatic abberations with those.

For the cost difference vs quality, the Nikon 6T is what I would personally go for. Wait and save.

All the best and only IMHO.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:36 PM   #4

I agree wholeheartedly with Danny. A dual element lens is the best way to go for focus to the corners. If you are set on 62mm then the 6t is what you need. However, if you are not restricted in diameter, the 52mm nikon 4tis less expensive and will work as well.

PS: Both the 6t and 4t are +3 diopter
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:17 PM   #5

Hi
Thanks for the advise guys, I think I will have to save up my pretty pennies then.
I have just bought the phayee adapter and so I will be needing 62mm lens. Is there any problem with vingetting when using the 52mm Nikon 4T? If it is a bit cheaper then it could be best just to get a step down ring.

Cheers

Simon
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:57 PM   #6

The 4t is not THAT much cheaper than the 6t; ~$15US. The step ring will run you half that. I'd get the 6t since you already have the 62mm adapter though vignetting isn't an issue with either.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:16 PM   #7

Would you, perchance, be the person who inquired recently on an ebay auction about shipping costs to Australia (only to be told, "I do not ship outside the United States - no exceptions.")? If so, I'm sorry to say that I was the lucky U.S. resident to get that Nikon 6T for $40.

In any case, keep checking ebay often for that lens. You'll find them coming up every now and then and, while some go for ridiculous prices, some go for quite reasonable prices and some of those sellers will ship worldwide.

Also check with the Pemaraal folks ( http://www.b-300.com/ ) to see when/if they get any more in stock. They're listing it at $47.50 (but out of stock). B&H ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ ) and Adorama ( http://www.adorama.com/ ) each list it at $46.95. (All prices are USD.)

Good luck!

Dick
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:13 PM   #8

Hi rschofield
No I wasnt the unlucky ebayer. I have looked at the US sites to buy the lens new but some want to charge me as much for postage as they do for the lens! I have a few friends in the states so I may have to get them to order it for me and then send it over for a much better price!