Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:59 AM   #91

Has anyone tried one of these on the FZ's

http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm

I am interested in keeping the camera as minimalist as possible (plus I have just bought an OpTec pouch for the camera and it will not fit in with an adapter attached ) I would like to use a UV, plus possibly close up filter or polarizer and or NDmy only concern is vinagetting :!:, any feedback would be welcome.

pwiles1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:11 AM   #92
Fox

I posted info about that a bit ago and thought it was a good idea till Rezajune and fmoore pointed out a few things I didn't think of. The thread is here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...43&forum_id=23
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:49 AM   #93

Hi !

I followed your recommendations and ordered the lens adapter from Rong Jin, including the multi-coated UV filter. InRong's store I noticed that he offers the Olympus macro lens MCON-40 for $75. I am interested, but could not find anything meaningful in my search for any technical specs or reviews. Do you have any experience or info on this converter? Can you recommend it?

Many thanks,

Uri
uhurvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:31 AM   #94

Hi,

I am a newbie. Just got my FZ20 sometime back. I was unaware that I require a filter at all.

Anyway, after reading this thread I have inferred that in order to protect my lens and to reduce UV haze to certain extent, I have to have at least UV filter and Skylight 1A filter.

I am going to get Marumi UV and skylight filters. My questions are....

1. Is my choice enough if Ibasically want to protect my lens and keep it covered all the time?

2. Is itpossible to directly mount the filter on the lense or is it requiredto buy an adapter to mount this filter on my FZ-20 lens?

3. Will I be able to fix the lense cap after putting on this filter?

(please forgive me if you think that I am asking something already answered in the thread, because Ihave already gone through the thread and if I haven't got the answer to my querry, it is not because of lazyness, but may be due to lack of understanding)
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:19 AM   #95

And one more thing. From the discussions I infer that the filter should be 62 mm. Am I correct?

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:53 AM   #96

Does the FZ series of cameras really need a good UV/haze filter ? Unless you are stacking filters - I would just buy a cheap 62/72mm to protect the lens. This article claims that the FZ3's CCD has a built-in uv/haze protection. See #17

http://pie.midco.net/treasuredude/fz...SD_memory_card
sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:32 AM   #97

Hey, somebody please tell me. Is it required to have an adpter if what I want is only to put a filter for lens protection? Come on somebody! Remember your newbie days.

Hoping to get some advice.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:05 PM   #98

wise wrote:
Quote:
Hey, somebody please tell me. Is it required to have an adpter if what I want is only to put a filter for lens protection? Come on somebody! Remember your newbie days.

Hoping to get some advice.
The camera comes with a plastic adapter, but it will require that you buy and screw in the male thread side of larger and more expensive 72 mm filters into it. Using the included adapter also places the filter a considerable distance from the main lens of the camera, which is the opposite of how it should be. If you take that adapter with filter off, the camera does not come bundled with protective caps you can put on the front to protect the filter glass and at the rear to keep dust out of the adapter tube.

In short, what the camera comes bundled with is a poor solution for those wanting to install add-on filters, teleconverters, etc.. So instead of trying to work with (and around) what the camera comes with, some just prefer to go with a third party adapter setup that will give them what they need cheaply and with less problems.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:27 PM   #99

Thanks teshni. Now please answer some more of stupid qs.

1. Do I get a 62 MM adapter if I only want to put a protective filter? Or is it required to get 72 MM one.?

2. Should I get a 62 MM filter?

3.Will I be able to fix my lens cap ( and hood)after putting on the filter?

I will highly appreciate if I get speedy answers. I had taken out my camera from the pack and tried few shots. But then I read this thread and backwent my camera to the safety of packing until I get the filter.

Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:00 PM   #100

Wise, if you go through this sticky all of your questions and then some more will be answered. It does not make sense to keep on asking them. I know that they will be answered because I replied to them already.

So just go through this sticky and take your time reading them. I know how you feel and want everything answered, but at the end if you just take your time reading a lot of past posts, things will slowly make sense to you.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote