Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:26 PM   #111
RDV

Hi Rezajune

I see from your post that you use an inboard uv filter with the B-300. Have you used it with a polarizer filter. I read the b-300 is heavy and is there any problem turning the lens?

Thanks
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:31 PM   #112

Hi guys. In case any of you are curious about the generic pedal hood that Rong Jin offers with his adapter, I just received one with my order. It screws on to the filter which I guess could be a little dangerous. Oh well, here's a pic of the hood/filter/adapter:

Attached Images

JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:32 PM   #113

pwiles1968 wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried one of these on the FZ's

http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm

I am interested in keeping the camera as minimalist as possible (plus I have just bought an OpTec pouch for the camera and it will not fit in with an adapter attached ) I would like to use a UV, plus possibly close up filter or polarizer and or NDmy only concern is vinagetting :!:, any feedback would be welcome.

Recieved the adapter ring today it is exactly what I was looking for, it basically puts threads on the barrel of the FZ20, it is only strong enough for filters but for a skylight and a Polarizer or close up lens - Perfect Just what I have been after, I also ordered a tethered cap, with the adapter and a UV in place the lens is level with the end of the body when retracted, the cap makes it slightly longer, but it still fits in my OpTec D-Offset no problems, I am very happy and would recommend it to anyone only interested in mounting filters only.:|
pwiles1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:46 PM   #114

JEDinNC wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys. In case any of you are curious about the generic pedal hood that Rong Jin offers with his adapter, I just received one with my order. It screws on to the filter which I guess could be a little dangerous. Oh well, here's a pic of the hood/filter/adapter:

it's not plastic, is it?
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:07 PM   #115

Whiskers,

The hood is plastic and is threaded (62mm). The Phayee adapter is metal.

Regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:17 PM   #116

I'm no pro, but for anyone looking at this filters thread I did a little test today. I read reza's stuff and all the links and almost all the threads on here and most other forums.... I advise newbies to do the same, most of my questions were answered and it wastes these peoples time to keep asking the same questions over, if you have to read and find the answer, you probably remember it instead of someone just giving you the answer. use the SEARH feature.... i have read the same question and answer to most questions 50 times by different people and the same people usually answer them over and over again.

Circual vs linear polarizers....... I read the post and went to buy a high quality linear polorizer..... ( have the rayonex adapter and need 52mm) the camera shops see my camera has auto focus and will not sell me a linear polarizer.... I tell them I read about it and that is what I want, nope... they 'Wolf' will only sell me a circular so I buy the cheapest one the have... I get 30 days to bring it back anyways..... I have a cheesy linear polorizer already (came with digital video camera) I went outside to try them todayand here are the results. Should I just stick with what I have as far as the polorizer, it seems good or should I order a high quality linear?

Ernie
Attached Images

TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:42 AM   #117

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
You need to email him and tell him exactly what you want.
If he doesn't ask you, just email him...and also ask him if you can pay a little extra to get it shipped faster to you. It took a long time..around 2 weeks for me to receive it. Its not his fault,..remember, its coming all the way from china.
Was that two weeks for regular orexpress shipping? Iplan toorder one today but will be leaving in 3 weeks to go on vacation out of the country and would like to have it before I go.

Thanks,
BunkeeBurns
BunkeeBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:51 PM   #118

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
I can only talk through experience.

This is what I would recommend.

Buy the Phayee FZ10/FZ20 Tube adapter from Ron Jin (China)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Its an incredible product. Very Very high quality adapter.
It has a 62mm front thread, with an 72mm front threadextension adapter which you can add on a hood such as a hama.

I believe you pay what you get and since you only will buy only one pair of everything..might as well pay good money.

I suggest the 62mm Hoya Pro1 Super HMC Multi-coated UV-Haze filter. It will cost around 40 dollars on ebay.
This is also act as your lens protector. It is super slim only 1mm thin...and the ring is only 3mm thin. The thinner the better. Multi coating makes a big difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Then I would get a high quality "linear" NOT "circular" polarizer. Hoya, Heliopan, Tiffen, B&W make high quality ones. I got a high end polarizer, because that is one of the most..if not ..the most important lens you will carry around, and kept on the most time.

got the B&W Kaesemann Linear Polarizer for around 100$.
Like I said, you probably won't see the difference between the one I got and a 50$ filter. I just wanted this one, because its air tight and I may be going to extreme climates.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...921&is=REG

Do get a hood. Very important. If you get the Phayee adapter tube from ron jin (jinfinance) then get this hood.

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ72.html?s...&item_no=1

Why? Because you can adjust the length of the hood based on what kind of photography you do..(macro versus tele)

I have bought from all these dealers and recommend them highly. Especially Ron Jin for the adapter tube. this is his email if you have any questions.

[email protected]

I will post a picture of my setup soon.

wish you the best.

By the way, never ever get a 72mm filter on these cameras for the distance between the lens and the filter is too far, most converters such as the Tcon 17..B-Macro... B-300 are 55mm and you really can't step down from 72mm to 55mm. Not recommended. You want everything to be as close to the FZ10/20 as close as possible.

I hope I helped you out a little bit.

Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:19 PM   #119

I realize I didn't add my post to the quote. My question is for Rezajune: Would a 62-55 mm step-down ring cause any problems such as vinegeting (sp?). I have a Helipan 52 mm Polarizer and UV on my current camera and would like to be able to use them on the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 I just bought. I am also ordering the lens adapter from China.

Thank you in advance, :bye:
BunkeeBurns
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:57 PM   #120

I have a Tiffin 62mm UV - how can I tell if it's multicoated?
rickyc is offline   Reply With Quote