Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:33 PM   #121

Hello there guys, its amazing how much information is out there with regards to lens filter for the FZ20. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me and will probably answer my questions in advance.

I have a FZ20 and recently saw a UV filter and a Linear Polarizer made my raynox (PLP-P20). It comes with a 52mm lens adaptor, the 2 filters, a pouch, and a lens cover. Most of your posts in here state that I should stay away from the original panasonic 72mm lens...that much i get. But is going down to a 52mm lens too far down? Will this affect the quality of my images? or should i really try for a 62mm filter? Please help.

A secondary question...since i will now have a 52mm adaptor, does this mean that if i buy a 52mm wide angle lens I could use it with my camera?

As you can tell i am about as ignorant as they come when it comes to cameras, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I think I am asking questions that have not been asked and answered before.

thank you everyone
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:24 PM   #122

The adapter youshould buy should be the largest size for the extra wide angle or teleconverter you may buy later. Or if you have another lens system the largest one with regard to filter size. In this case you can always use a step down ring to use your filter interchangeably. Otherwise you will be buying filters for every size. Obviously if you want to leave an UV filter on all the time you will be buying one for all your lenses. It is important for FZ20 only if you plan to buy teleconvertor tcon 14or 17 or raynox etc. Chances that yo get vingenting with a step down ring are much less then otherwise.
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:35 AM   #123

Hey guys,
Yesterday, I received my 62mm Hoya Pro1 Super HMC Multi-coated UV-Haze filter and Hama adjustable-length lens hood. BTW, I am use the Phayee Adaptor.

Excitedly, after work, I put on the adaptor, filter, and the hood. I went outside and took some test shots. I was shocked to see that the lens hood would appear in the four corners of shots. I can't remember now if the camera lens was in wide-angle, tele or somewhere in between, but this is very disturbing. I even pulled the adjustable hood into the second, medium-length position, and it still showed up. Anyone have this problem, or did I mess up something in the s etup?

Thanks,
Sherpa78

PS. Here's the lens hood I use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=90022&is=REG
sherpa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:21 PM   #124

It is sooooooo shocking. I can't believe it.

Just put the lens hood in the third position.
Those positions are meant for tele zooming.
Calm down and stop being so shocked, just spend some more time with it.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:01 PM   #125

Why so condescending? I'm pretty new at this photography thing, and so I was not aware that this was to be expected. I hope when you were learning, others were not as patronizing as you.

Sherpa78

sherpa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:11 PM   #126

Hi Sherpa78,

I had many of the same questions as you, not long ago at all.

The veterans here are very helpful; it's just that they've been here a long time, and have been asked many of the same questions more times than you or I could shake a stick at. I appreciate their help and patience, and can also understand how tedious things can sometimes get....

Dr. C.K. Shene, another member here who's very respected, was very patient, informative, and understanding with me when I emailed him offsite with some questions I had with my Phayee and my Hama hood. Try reaching him at [email protected]

'Hope this may be of help...good luck, hang in there, and, most of all, don't be afraid to experiment and have fun....take care.

Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:02 PM   #127

Another newbie here. Great information. After reading the thread a few times, I think I am finallygetting it. Let me try a different angle here:

Iam going to buy an adapter for my FZ20 and currently have no filters or additional lens. I understand that the Phayee adapter allows you to use 62mm and that you can get a 62-55mm step-down ring for other filters and lens.

OK.... here's the questions:

Is there an advantage of 62mm over 55mm?
Why would I want a 55mm if I don't currently own any 55mmaccessories?
Wouldn't I want the widest size that fits on the camera?

Don't believe this question has been asked on this thread. Apologies if it has.

Steve
FZ20 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:08 PM   #128

Bit more information. I am mainly looking for a filter to protect the lens, but like the fact that the adapter allows me to add other lens down the road if I get a bit more adventurous. So, I don't see myself buying more than the adapter, a UV filter and apolarizer filter to start. Just walking before I run....
FZ20 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:33 AM   #129

Sherpa: I see that you say you bought the 62mm filter, but the hama hood youpoint to in your post is a 72mm. Does that mean you have both pieces of the phayee in place with a 62mm filter in between and the 72mm hood hanging off of the end? If that is the case, I might try dropping the second part of the adapter and use a 62mm rubber hood.
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:25 PM   #130

I am confused about the need for a hood if add-on lenses need to be as close as possible to the original lens and filter to avoid vignetting and other problems?
Feister Meister is offline   Reply With Quote